Windows 2003 Server Eval copy

does anyone know how to remove the Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition Evaluation copy Build 3790 text that is always on my desktop? I'm not looking to hack/crack the eval beyond the 180-day trial period, just sick of looking at the text.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

196 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-01-07
does anyone know how to remove the "Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition Evaluation copy Build 3790" text that is always on my desktop? I'm not looking to hack/crack the eval beyond the 180-day trial period, just sick of looking at the text. I got it to go away once before but can't remember how I did it...

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

162 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-16
If you go to MS TechNet UK you can get a 365 day evaluation copy.....I got two lol

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
TweakUI only removes non-eval lines ...

I don't know where but just google around there is a simple registry tweak for that ...

196 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-01-07
OP
say Sparkesy, do you happen to have the URL to that eval download?
I haven't found a reg hack yet to get rid of the eval text. Any suggestions? I know that the smartest computer minds on the Net (W2S'rs) should be able to help me on this one...

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

162 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-16
it's not a download you have to order the evaluation copy on cd from microsoft direct.
I got it because I'm registered as a MS developer but you should be able to go to the microsoft technet UK site and go to the evaluation software section and login with a MS passport ID.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/technet/preview/

196 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-01-07
OP
thanks for the info folks, this IS the best site on the Net because of great people like you. I can't get the UK stuff because I live in the US and I see they are only offering the 180-day evaluation copies there also anyway.
I'll try the registry edit when I get on my 2003 Server box and see what happens. Thanks again....

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

5 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-05-05
The school I'm attending struck a deal with Microsoft. Programming students get to use Microsoft products for free. No limits and completly legal. I recieved Windows 2003 about 2 wks ago and installed it on my home network. So far, I've been absolutly amazed with it. By far, the best (server) OS Microsoft has come out with.

Installing 3rd party apps like Apache, PHP, and MySQL can be a pain so if you plan on using them you might want to do some research first.

196 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-01-07
OP
just tried the regedit thing, no luck-it's still there on the desktop. Anybody have suggestions as to where to look and what to look for to get rid of the eval messages?

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
btw why u want to remove it ....
I don't wanna say I can't live without it anymore ... but I really like it ... it is there since SP1 and ... huh ... i just like it ...

196 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-01-07
OP
just tired of having it on the desktop and having to look at it. I WANT to get rid of it...

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-23
Right click on the desktop

goto "Arrange icons by"

on this menu sign the "Lock web items to desktop"

enjoy

8)

196 Posts
Location -