nForce4 Driver 6.70

A empty folder appeared today with a date of 10/25/05.Hopefully any hour well see some new official driver's ftp://download. nvidia. com/Windows/nForce/standalone/6.

This topic was started by ,

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

52 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-11-07
Where are the official nForce2/3 drivers? It's almost a year without official release. NVIDIA is starting to act like Creative.

516 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-06-25
OP
Not sure, It has been a very long time I know.

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
what problem do you have with the nF 1/2/3 driver ?
OK I love new drivers, too
but back in my nF2 times a had no problem with it
I installed every new driver but I never had any problem with the old or the new ones ...
and since nF1/2/3 represent a relativly old generation of chipset I have to agree with those ppl. who say "OK the drivers work for anybody and it does not make much sense trying to find ways to optimize it"
they also have dropped support for cards like a TNT2 in the Forceware 70 and later release ...
and why should they continue optimiszing drivers for such a card
or lats say it this way ... how much sense does it make updating a unified driver for card XY while everything else is not effected and all users with AB and CD do download the driver, too while they do not have any benefit from that

8)

52 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-11-07
There are few issues inside the AGP driver. NF3 is not old, nF2 is for K7, nF3 is for K8 (AGP), and nF4 is for K8/775 (PCIe). It's not like the TNT which is very old. Their benefit is the customer's support, since there are many competitors in their market such as: VIA, SiS, ULi, Intel, and ATi.

Most of them are releasing updates on monthly basis with support for all their old and new products. If NVIDIA will not support their products, then I will reconsider using their chipsets in the future. Their last official release was back at September 2004 and that’s pretty old. According to our latest survey, most of the users are still using AGP and they deserve drivers support.

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

45 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-09-24
heh, loved the compare to creative
still waiting for an update for my lousy extigy, from 2002! ;

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

91 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-05-21
There are few issues inside the AGP driver. NF3 is not old, nF2 is for K7, nF3 is for K8 (AGP), and nF4 is for K8/775 (PCIe). It's not like the TNT which is very old. Their benefit is the customer's support, since there are many competitors in their market such as: VIA, SiS, ULi, Intel, and ATi.

Most of them are releasing updates on monthly basis with support for all their old and new products. If NVIDIA will not support their products, then I will reconsider using their chipsets in the future. Their last official release was back at September 2004 and that´s pretty old. According to our latest survey, most of the users are still using AGP and they deserve drivers support.

Here, here. Well said, Regen. Actually, the nForce4 chipset supports the 939 pin socket AMD A64 chips as well. The 775 socket is an Intel product. That's called "sleeping with the enemy" :-)

I agree with you on the infrequency of "official" chipset driver releases. It's pathetic. The worst part is that they leak "unofficial" drivers all the time and we're (I presume) expected to live with that. The biggest problem I've had is with the IDE driver. I don't use the RAID functionality on my DFI board but I hear that's a big issue as well. Mostly, I see big IDE performance differences between the various official and non-official builds, of which I have no less than 10 (versions 6.39 thru 8.12).

What I see now on the nVidia FTP site is TWO new directories, both with today's date (10/26/05) and both containing new drivers. One directory is labeled "6.70" and the other is "6.82". Both sets of drivers were built on 10/22/05, which means they're already 4 days old.

It would appear that the 6.82 are for 16X PCI-Express SLI based systems. That's a very new chipset update that's just now beginning to appear. The 6.70 drivers are (I assume) for the rest of us that DON'T have 16X SLI motherboards. I'm sure the differences between the basic drivers (IDE, LAN, Sound chip, etc.) are fairly minimal though.

If you don't know what the new X16 chipset really represents, it allows a pair of 16X PCI-Express slots to BOTH run at full speed 16X in SLI mode. The older/original nForce4 SLI chip only allows for 8X from each PCI-Express video card, when in SLI mode. The benchmark scores I've seen on this new chip don't really show any improvement over 8X. However, maybe these new drivers WILL.

I guess that could mean good things for those folks who are thinking about upgrading. I just hope they fix the IDE/SATA support this time.

Later.

52 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-11-07
There are two editions of nF4 one for AMD and the other is for Intel
nForce 6.82 is kinda old.. the X16 reviewers already leaked it about a week go.

P.S.
The files are already in the FTP.

115 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-01-20
There are two editions of nF4 one for AMD and the other is for Intel
nForce 6.82 is kinda old.. the X16 reviewers already leaked it about a week go.

P.S.
The files are already in the FTP.

Aye, downloading now. :finger:

45 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-09-24
dunno mersch, didnt try, dont think i will, nothing really works on the extigy cause its usb, but thanks anyways :)

115 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-01-20

Aye, downloading now. :finger:

Running them - no problems