FX 5900XT WINDOWS STARTUP TROUBLE PLEASE HELP ME

i havent been using my system much but it seems hell bent on dying i start the computer from a cold boot and during the time the icons are loading the screen goes blank then comes back however i have just started up my pc and now after the blank screen i get a black&white image.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

143 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-11
i havent been using my system much but it seems hell bent on dying

i start the computer from a cold boot and during the time the icons are loading the screen goes blank then comes back

however i have just started up my pc and now after the blank screen i get a black&white image. i can move the mouse but cant click on anything; what the hell is going on here?? :knife:

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

55 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-05-03
Hi
I'm not sure, its difficult when not there to see what is happening.

Check the power connector to your graphics card is not connected to anything else like hard drives. Also try changing which power lead you use.
I had to use a different power lead to my fx5900 on an Enermax 420W. Strange but true!

Check if anything is overheating.
If you can feel heat radiating off your graphics card, thats not a good sign. Make sure its fan is working.
Same for your cpu.

If you have clocked anything, make sure its now running at default speed (or just slow), work your way back up if this sorts you out.
Clean all dust from fans and heatsinks and make sure you have some case airflow (ie case fans).

Try another psu, at least a known good 350W psu for a FX5900.

Beyond that, always have a second hard drive with windows installed to test. If your second windows works fine, you can be sure its not your hardware and can troubleshoot windows.

As the weather gets warmer, any overclocked kit may need declocking a bit. Not sure if thats your issue, but its worth knowing.

good luck :)

143 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-11
OP
the card is connected to both my hard drives on a 400W power supply. its a golden sample and im not pushing it beyond its own enhanced mode

its been in this config for a few week

im going to try a different power connection now (tha goes to my fans and optical drives)

the picture was grey and the horizontal lines were more predominant. ive never had this problem before. could it just be that the driver loaded incorrectly?

i have been restoring off ghost and until now i noticed nothing wrong, but if this persists ill redo the whole lot :-?

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

399 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-22
Not sure what your problem is, but do try this anyway.

I) lower the refresh rate.
II) Reinstall your driver (clean everything up and install again).
III)Try different monitor (may be your monitor is malfunctioning).
IV) Try your video card on other machine (may be your video card is malfunctioning).

What operating system are you running and your system specification please.

Hopes that help, good Luck.

50 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-01-14
Unplug the card from the agp slot and boot without it, turn off the box, plug it back, boot in safe mode, uninstall drivers, reboot, reinstall drivers, should work. A friend had the same issue with an FX 5800.

143 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-11
OP
ok this is weird

ive had my computer off all night and now its working :knife:

i have reinstalled the drivers to be safe

however my monitor (ADI microscan A700+) is not displaying black text; it comes out grey and there is flicker. i am using the plug & play driver for this and i cant find a driver for this monitor

my rig:

p4 2ghz
512 RAM
gainward 5900xt GS

1352 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-02-01
ok, for the driver, u can download the inf here

III)Try different monitor (may be your monitor is malfunctioning)

could be true, because with NV cards u can overHZ your Monitor!

143 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-11
OP
thanks for the driver

unfortunately my monitor isnt in the list doe some reason :-?

it says my monitor is at 1280*1024 with 60HZ refresh which is this lcds standard resolution

whats really weird is that it seems to be working at the moment; if it was a hardware problem surely it would come up every time right?

55 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-05-03
lol
PC's have personalities, heres proof ;)

399 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-22
Then you really need to try your LCD on other machine, because when hardware is malfunctioning, it will get really wired. If you don't have other machine, then run windows under safe mode and see if you can read the black text. If you can that is certainly software issue. If you can't, then do try you LCD on other machine and pray it still works.

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-03-23
well just reinstall windows

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-03-23
ok this is weird

ive had my computer off all night and now its working :knife:

i have reinstalled the drivers to be safe

however my monitor (ADI microscan A700+) is not displaying black text; it comes out grey and there is flicker. i am using the plug & play driver for this and i cant find a driver for this monitor

my rig:

p4 2ghz
512 RAM
gainward 5900xt GS
i found a website
that has the drivers for your moniter ( http://www.adiusa.com/download.html )

edit mertsch: to post url - please no ( or ) next to the url leave one space

143 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-11
OP
thanks for the link. unfortunately i couldnt see my monitor in the whole list

very weird happenings just now. i was rebooting after doing a pagedrfrag and the same screen happens. only this time i accidently push the standby button. now when it got out of standby it was fine and my pc is working :knife:

does this indicate as to whether this is software or hardware?

55 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-05-03
Software.
Pressing standby wont change anything in hardware.
Windows however might have decided something needed fixing or even rolled back to a previous restore which worked.

I have to say, your problem sounds a bit like the refresh rate is not one your monitor is designed for.
If it happens again, try manually setting the refresh rates in the NVidia gfx properties. Set to 60Hz as a test, if it works fine then set it to a Rate that the monitor is happy with.

399 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-22
If the problem really make you cry out for a solution, try to do a fresh install of windows. This fixes 80% of all software problem.