Help with a P4 800

No single player fixes? Bummer. I'm not going to buy it then if they aren't going to fix the single player bugs. I'll get Return to Castle Wolfenstein instead.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-30
I just recently upgraded my processor and mother board to a P4 2.4Ghz 800Mhz FSB, hyper threading supported. The mother board is a Intel D865GBF with 2 gigs of PC3200 ram. The problem I'm having is when I try to install an application that is enclosed in a self extracting archive I get CRC errors about the archive and the installer quits. This problem is preventing me from installing many needed applications.
Since the problem I replaced the hard drive for a WD80gig 7200rpm w/8mb cache, new power supply specific to the P4 chip. Fresh load of XP Pro, flashed the bios to the latest from Intel's web sight.
Now something weird, after many hours and many beers I found if I disable hyper threading some archive will extract but the larger ones (100mb +) still fail CRC checks. The failing archives do extract properly on 3 other pc's running earlier processors, a P3 833 and a P3 1g with the same OS.
HELP! Everything is new, anyone ever hear of problems with hyper threading?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions anyone may have.

Jpumpster

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

7 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-08-25
you checked for any bios updates or some intel apps that might be causing it. I remember via i think once had a problem where it would corrupt data. They fixed it through their 4in1. Not sure if intel has such a thing or not. Hope i was some help.

43 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-07-03
ok... if you update your pc to the max with latest drivers and your still having problems,.... try turning down your settings for your memory in the BIOS,... see if that works.... i say this because memory problems can give CRC errors also,.... its happened to me when i had some cheapo ram...give it a shot....

RaZoR

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

50 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-01-14
Bad ram or too high timings for your mem. Set it by SPD in the bios and see if you still get the CRC errors. Also try to test 1 mem stick at once.

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

501 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-11-19
Lower your memory timings,
and try with 1 stick of ram
and see if it works,
then try with the other
and see if it works,
and you can figure out which one is bad,
if 1 is.

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-11-01
Hi i apologise if this has already been posted but i was wondering are you using win xp or 2000 if xp install sp1 and do windows update as there is a patch somewere for pcs with hyperthreading and having a gig or more memory as many had troubles with large zip files or if 2000 install sp4 and do windows update :beer:

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-30
OP
Thanks for all of the tips. I took the mother board, processor and memory back to the store where I purchased it all and they tested everything for a day and said they found a couple of flakey memory sticks. When I got home I tried the same zip's and the same problem is still happining. :knife: I am running XP pro, frsh install of OS with SP1. Does anyone know of a good hardware dianostics program that will correctly with hyper-threading?
Thanks again to all of you.

Jpumpster

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-30
OP
Dan03, thanks for the info. I found the article you mentioned. I'm going to contact MS tomorrow and get the fix.
Thanks bud! :hail:

Jpumpster

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-11-01
anytime hehe

Would you be able to post the links to the patches here just soo that i could see if i have them and for anyone else that may need them thanks in advance :hail: :hail: :hail: