pentium 4 800mhz

In my new system that i'm building next friday (first time ) the pentium 4 2.4 that im putting in is a 800mhz chip with hyperthreading technology i have a faint idea what this is but could anyone tell me more about what hyperthreading is please :wink: thanx.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-09-09
In my new system that i'm building next friday (first time ) the pentium 4 2.4 that im putting in is a 800mhz chip with hyperthreading technology i have a faint idea what this is but could anyone tell me more about what hyperthreading is please :wink:

thanx

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

621 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-26
Hyper-Threading Technology is a groundbreaking innovation from Intel® Corporation that enables multi-threaded software applications to execute threads in parallel. This level of threading technology has never been seen before in a general-purpose microprocessor. Internet, e-Business, and enterprise software applications continue to put higher demands on processors. To improve performance in the past, threading was enabled in the software by splitting instructions into multiple streams so that multiple processors could act upon them. Today with Hyper-Threading Technology, processor-level threading can be utilized which offers more efficient use of processor resources for greater parallelism and improved performance on today's multi-threaded software.
Hyper-Threading Technology provides thread-level-parallelism (TLP) on each processor resulting in increased utilization of processor execution resources. As a result, resource utilization yields higher processing throughput. Hyper-Threading Technology is a form of simultaneous multi-threading technology (SMT) where multiple threads of software applications can be run simultaneously on one processor. This is achieved by duplicating the architectural state on each processor, while sharing one set of processor execution resources. Hyper-Threading Technology also delivers faster response times for multi-tasking workload environments. By allowing the processor to use on-die resources that would otherwise have been idle, Hyper-Threading Technology provides a performance boost on multi-threading and multi-tasking operations for the Intel NetBurst® microarchitecture.

This technology is largely invisible to the platform. In fact, many applications are already multi-threaded and will automatically benefit from this technology. However, multi-threaded applications take full advantage of the increased performance that Hyper-Threading Technology has to offer, allowing users will see immediate performance gains when multitasking. Today's multi-processing aware software is also compatible with Hyper-Threading Technology enabled platforms, but further performance gains can be realized by specifically tuning software for Hyper-Threading Technology. This technology complements traditional multi-processing by providing additional headroom for future software optimizations and business growth.

Hyper-Threading Technology offers many benefits to e-Business and the enterprise such as:

Enables more user support improving business productivity
Provides faster response times for Internet and e-Business applications enhancing customer experience
Increases number of transactions that can be processed
Allows compatibility with existing IA-32 applications and operating systems
Handles larger workloads
Offers headroom for future business growth and new solution capabilities

Source: http://www.intel.com/technology/hyperthread/

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

499 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-18
nice copy and paste ;P

621 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-26
nice copy and paste ;P

was the easiest way ;-)

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
and the most critical ... since it is from intel! :P

614 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-21
Nice one now he'll never know what it really is :P

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

14 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-06-08
If you get the chip for the sole purpose of the HT feature --- you must use Windows XP. I have an Intel Chip with HT tech, but I'm on Win2k and refuse to go to Winxp. Its useless for me.

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

18 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-01-27
Hyperthreading - Makes one CPU look and act like 2...it's SMP for the person who doesn't want to spend the money for a dual CPU box. :P