Please Read: Streaming AD When you enter the site

I received a lot of negative feedback about the ad which comes up when you enter the site. We also know about the problems you have when the ad runs in a loop or that the Skip button does not work and we are working on this.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

621 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-26
I received a lot of negative feedback about the ad which comes up when you enter the site.
We also know about the problems you have when the ad runs in a loop or that the "Skip" button does not work and we are working on this.

Also: The stream ad will end at 09/30/2003

1. I also don´t want to reply to any mail or to any forum topic, that s the reason why I am posting these sticky post:

At first I would like to say something about the people, who insult us anonymusly:
Get a life, you are free to do not visit the site, stop annyoing us with your brain shit, tell your opinion to people, who are interested to hear this or tell it a tree.
That s also the reason why I close this forum to Guest posters, if you have something to say, stand behind it, we can talk about anything.

Ok, now to the real topic and problem:

We allready have contacted the adcompany to check the code, it looks like that it is buggy.
They told us that Opera, Mozilla and Avant browsers are affected by the issue and they are allready on it to fix it.
Also, the adserver checks if the ad is allready delivered by setting a no trackable cookie.
If you block all cookies, you maybe get the ad at any pageview.
So make shure ti enable cookies. Cookies are also used for automaticly login into this site / forums. If you block them, you have to log on any time manually. If you don´t care about it, ok, it s not my problem.

If you report a problem, it would be nice if you could give us some details about the machine you are using.

Important informations to find and fix the problem are as following:

Operation System
Browser
Using a firewall, if yes which one

Without those informations we are not able to find the problems.

2. Advertisment itself

I don´t want to tell you the same story about hosting costs and others, but only some words:

The site costs money, the traffic costs money and other expenses like insurance, telephone costs, taxes, mail has also to be paid.
Only one example: I have a telephone and internet bill of round about 350 - 400 Euros (similar the same in USD) a month, which is caused by working on this site.
Rancho is similar to this. So we have to decide: Close the site and doing something else which would be much more cheaper or keep it running. We decided to keep it running.
We announced 2 weeks ago that we needed to upgrade the hardware, means new servers. Do you think that was for free ?

If you don t like the way we go, you are free to leave.
Also, maybe you have noticed that we have removed the others popups from our site, regading to the ad policy we are running, other banners will also removed, if the Stream Ad campain works out and make it possible to remove other ads.

3. Believe me or not, advertisments will get much more worser in the future than now.
Why ? Ads get more and more blocked, click rates are decreasing and rates decrease too.
So what to do ? Place more ads to make the same revenue than before.
I know this is sad and I don´t like it to but I am running a business here and i have to keep it alive.

And this is the reason why we decided to open up an new service by the end of next month.

By spending us 2 bucks a month, which is very cheap, you get complete ad-free access, a extreme fast exclusive download mirror and some other special things

Feel free to leave a comment about it.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-09-25
So if I understand well, every security web site tells us to block thrid party cookies and to come to warp2 we have to permit them.

I love warp2, but that ad might just keep me from coming back, because third party cookies will stay blocked.

Edit: now it seems to work with 3rd party cookies blocked. Hope it stays that way. :)

621 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-26
OP
So if I understand well, every security web site tells us to block thrid party cookies and to come to warp2 we have to permit them.

I love warp2, but that ad might just keep me from coming back, because third party cookies will stay blocked.

Edit: now it seems to work with 3rd party cookies blocked. Hope it stays that way.

In my opinion, the panic which is made regarding cookies, is much to extreme and only a "hot topic catch the user" topic.

I am long enough into the web, with cookies enabled and i was never been hacked, no person stand in front of my door, never my credit card no. was catched or other things.
But big headlines catching and afraid users, as always in the business. Sad but true.

621 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-26
OP
And btw, I don t know what you guys are doing. I surf the whole day on the site and got the ad 2 times in 12 hours........and that s not annoying for me.

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

499 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-18
i hope i wasnt one of the insulters with my post here in feedback but it was not meant as an insult, just that i was a bit tired oh having a huge flash thing filling all of my screen :P

277 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-02-10
As said above no one can "hack" you through your cookies, a few ad servers, (mainly fastclick and doubleclick) used to count what sites you went to so they could change the banners you see based on what sites you visit. Besides that, there's nothing a cookie can actually do to your system itself.

Many advertisers won't pay up when users block thier cookies (they use it as part of the proof that it has been viewed by a unique person.) So everyone allow all the ad cookies from w2s! (It also solves the repeating ads/login problems with the site.)

499 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-18
ok the big ad makes the search function useless..
when you search you get the add, and when you continue the search results is just the latest posts on the main site.

:-/

79 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-06-09
get a paypal donation link going or something :P

621 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-26
OP
ok the big ad makes the search function useless..
when you search you get the add, and when you continue the search results is just the latest posts on the main site.

:-/

???????? Works fine here.

621 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-26
OP
Regarding to the problems which were reported I have decided to remove the ad now until the errors are fixed and everybody can skip the ad and enter the site without problems.

Update: Got report that the error is fixed.

499 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-18
get a paypal donation link going or something

too bad paypal doesnt work too well in europe - because of the activation key being replaced with info about the exchange from US currency to our own.

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-23
In addition to me disliking the flash ads, some of the rich animated ads like smileys, make browser scrolling ridiculously slow even on a decent machine (Gecko based browsers, IE seems to be more or less ok, but still a LOT slower than similar websites, like NeoWin or Driverheaven)