What you must know about Resident Evil 4 PC before purchase

They're gonna have about 20 cards out between now and April 29th, then they're going to ship 99,980 cards out on the 30th. :rolleyes: This whole FX launch has already turned into a bad running joke, why not just take the wraps off it and get it over with?.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

108 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-02-13
This thread contains what everyone should know before they purchase the PC version of Resident Evil.

Capcom made the original version.
Ubisoft is the publisher for US/Europe/Australia.
The PC game is actually made by a company called NextSource.
It's already published in South Korea, Taiwain and a French website have a preview copy and posted screenshots to verify that Ubisoft's version is the same.

* Darkness is removed. Where the console version covers the game in eirie darkness, night is almost as bright as daytime in the PC version removing most of the feel.

Top images PC, Bottom GameCube

http://www.hidebehind.com/9390F650
http://www.hidebehind.com/4D34550E

* Daylight is removed. Where the console version is lit up by yellowish daylight, the PC version is just grey dull textures.

http://www.hidebehind.com/65F336B8
http://www.hidebehind.com/33644324

* Haze/Fog is removed. You can see at any distance and when opponents run into the supposed fog (that cannot be seen) they just vanish in thin air.
* The PC version uses low quality models from the PS2 version rather than the higher quality GC models, meaning that everything like tree's etc uses alot fewer polygons than the GC version.
* There is no support for EAX, modern soundcards or surround sound.
* There is no mouse support. You are going to need a joypad with two sticks to play it.
* There is no support for Anisotropic Filthering or Antialiasing.
* Many keys on the keyboard, such as F1-F12, TAB, DEL, Insert etc cannot be bound at all.
* They did not bother about a real "quit game" function, you quit the game with ALT+F4.
* Despite the lack of effects/shaders the PC version still requires a graphiccard with Pixel Shaders 2.0 to play.
* Buttons in-game will be refered to 1-10 rather than "USE", "MENU", "SHOOT" etc. When you look at the in-game players manual it will describe how to do things by using the Playstation 2 controls with the Playstation 2 setup (which might not be the same as how you set up the joypad). You are pretty much forced to guess the buttons on your way through.
* Aiming is corrupted. Analog controllers work as digital ones. You have some kind of threshold that must be passed before the aim start to move and when it does it moves too fast. This makes it almost impossible to hit smaller targets even when they are perfectly still.

This is not only a sloppy port, by removing the fog, daylight, darkness they have removed most of the feel the original version had. When a consolefan tipped you about playing this game, they had never tried the PC version.

What's left is only a rather annoying and dull actiongame with graphics that was hot four-five years ago and frustrating gameplay both because the lack of quicksaves and the messed up controls.

You are better of renting/borrowing a GameCube or waiting for one of the GameCube emulators to be good enough.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
WOW .... thanks ....
damn ports .... and RE without surround dound ... LOL forget it ... go play Cold Fear :D

93 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-08-27
I have played and finished Biohazard 4 (the Japanese version of RE4 )

The game is good and big but yes the graphics are poor
RE4 is nothing more from a console port but the game itself is not bad

108 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-02-13
OP
Capcom Representive gives hope
http://www.capcom.com/BBS/showpost.php?p=211148&postcount=37

The posters here are strong with the dark side... they have given in to their hate and it has made them strong.

At the risk of inciting perhaps more riots, a little bird has told me that updated shaders and lighting models will be added via a patch somewhere down the line in time for certain territory releases (I'm not sure if the US release is the territory in question... I'm still trying to get solid information). We don't even had a build of this in our office yet.

Again, I have no idea what the end visual quality will be, only that at some point it should be better than the screens you currently see.

I know a lot of people here are disappointed. I think the only thing I can possibly suggest is wait and see.

Christian Svensson
Capcom Entertainment Inc.
- Sr. Director of Strategic Planning & Research

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

621 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-26
Thx JemyM for letting us know !

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2007-02-19
i am playing currently resident evil 4 in my pc and i can say is a very good shooter. it's not the best graphics but are nice. the version i have is english and i downloaded from a torrent site. ok there is no mouse support but you can use mouseaim v2.0 and there you have. for the moment i love this game. pitty i want to play but it's 01:25, i have to sleep because of work tomorrow.

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

112 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-03-29
Darn, i was planning to play this game on pc ... guess i will have to at least wait for the patch.