Do you dare to buy vista?

This comes from someone who havnt ran a firewall since he got broadband 6-8 years ago, and do not even run anti-virus unless the computer acts really strange. With all talk about Microsoft's ideologies when it comes to privacy/anti-pirate activity, security checks when installing SP2, talk about windows media playe ...

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

108 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-02-13
This comes from someone who havnt ran a firewall since he got broadband 6-8 years ago, and do not even run anti-virus unless the computer acts really strange.

With all talk about Microsoft's ideologies when it comes to privacy/anti-pirate activity, security checks when installing SP2, talk about windows media player checking licenses, MSN erasing MP3 files after sending them (claiming they are a potential threat when we know they are not), microsoft building hardware to refuse to run unlicensed software etc...

Do you dare to buy Vista?

Sure, it looks nice, but it feels like a trojan horse to let "Microsoft's latest" take care of everything I do with my computer.

Isnt it horrible that I feel more secure with hackers & viros programmers than I do with the programmers of my operating system?

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
[...]
With all talk about Microsoft's ideologies when it comes to privacy/anti-pirate activity, security checks when installing SP2, talk about windows media player checking licenses, MSN erasing MP3 files after sending them (claiming they are a potential threat when we know they are not), microsoft building hardware to refuse to run unlicensed software etc...
[...]

I don't see that much of a problem here
The things you mention ...
Verifying your Product ID on MS to gain access to customer content - whats wrong about that ... I mean any online game does this by checking your serial - does anyone complain here? And when it comes to protection of their product ... its all software and can be uninstalled completely - have a look at Adobe Photoshop where the protection actually does modify your harddrive to stray even if you format your drive ... do ppl. blame them like they blame MS ?
MS Mediaplayer licensing - I don't like that thing, too
But whats the solution to this? Do not use it! You are asked during setup if you want to aquire license automatically or not. Just avoid content using this kind of protection.
And the last point you mention is TCPA right? http://www.againsttcpa.com/
AFAIK its not included within Vista and AFAIK you need a chip placed on your matherboard to make things work - and its OUR job NOT to buy such hardware
its just like the sony XPC thing users have to rebel against such things - in its most simple form - Do not support it buy buying such products

I am pretty suche I am going for Vista
If the improvement is like going from non-XP to XP its gona be awesome.

108 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-02-13
OP
I don't see that much of a problem here
The things you mention ...
Verifying your Product ID on MS to gain access to customer content - whats wrong about that ... I mean any online game does this by checking your serial - does anyone complain here? And when it comes to protection of their product ... its all software and can be uninstalled completely - have a look at Adobe Photoshop where the protection actually does modify your harddrive to stray even if you format your drive ... do ppl. blame them like they blame MS ?
MS Mediaplayer licensing - I don't like that thing, too
But whats the solution to this? Do not use it! You are asked during setup if you want to aquire license automatically or not. Just avoid content using this kind of protection.
And the last point you mention is TCPA right? http://www.againsttcpa.com/
AFAIK its not included within Vista and AFAIK you need a chip placed on your matherboard to make things work - and its OUR job NOT to buy such hardware
its just like the sony XPC thing users have to rebel against such things - in its most simple form - Do not support it buy buying such products
I am pretty suche I am going for Vista
If the improvement is like going from non-XP to XP its gona be awesome.

We know about TCPA and Palladium.
We have seen the signs in Windows Media Player.
We know Microsoft's attitude regarding privacy.

Yet you feel completely safe letting their latest software completely take control over your computer and everything you do?

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
We know about TCPA and Palladium.
We have seen the signs in Windows Media Player.
We know Microsoft's attitude regarding privacy.

Yet you feel completely safe letting their latest software completely take control over your computer and everything you do?

I do not know what is taking control over my PC
sure I am against TCPA
but in my opinion MS does handle privacy very good
I mean there was that huge outcry when XP was introduce with its activation and hundreds of tech freaks tried to prove MS is transfering sensitive data - but all failed
If MS would really spy on you they could send one half of all windows user to jail for using an illegal copy
Even with SP1/SP2 introduced key checks you are only notified that your key is not legal - millions of users do use the FCKGW-..... key. You could visit them all and find an illegal copy of XP
But non of these things happens

I am absolutely sure that MS does not steal any private data from me
and as you said - without firewall and AV I feel very safe when I am connected to the Internet which is nearly all the time.

I like MS products and unless they start using something like TCPA or try to modify my computers hardware in a way you can not remove it without any trouble - I am going to use MS products again

108 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-02-13
OP
I do not know what is taking control over my PC
sure I am against TCPA
but in my opinion MS does handle privacy very good
I mean there was that huge outcry when XP was introduce with its activation and hundreds of tech freaks tried to prove MS is transfering sensitive data - but all failed
If MS would really spy on you they could send one half of all windows user to jail for using an illegal copy
Even with SP1/SP2 introduced key checks you are only notified that your key is not legal - millions of users do use the FCKGW-..... key. You could visit them all and find an illegal copy of XP
But non of these things happens
I am absolutely sure that MS does not steal any private data from me
and as you said - without firewall and AV I feel very safe when I am connected to the Internet which is nearly all the time.
I like MS products and unless they start using something like TCPA or try to modify my computers hardware in a way you can not remove it without any trouble - I am going to use MS products again

I am not anti-microsoft and I do not plan to move to apple or linux anytime soon. I enjoy the simplicity, without extra hassle to find and install what I want and need.

I believe Microsoft already have a good insight on how many run pirated windows, but the costs of going to court in each individual case is probably not worth it.

But I am worried to run an operating system built by the same people who started the whole TCPA idea. Now when I know their attitudes and their plans, I feel less secure. While Microsoft themselves might not be interested to harass each individual, I know many less subtile companies/organisations that do not hesitate. If Vista do make it easy for someone to access my harddrive it's ofcourse alot easier to just dump a filelist of my mp3 folder and go to court (I assume that everybody here have one and enjoy listening to music).

This time it's not a started program we are talking about. This time its the operating system itself. You do not actually need special hardware if you agree to let everything you do be started from a big brother system (if that's the case).

Ohwell... I'll see what happens.

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
If you take a look at the member list
https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/about/members/
Although I am against TCPA
TCPA is not ment to spy on you its ment to control how you are "allowed" to use your PC
By allowing you only to run "trusted" applications or only "untrusted" ones you will will no longer have the freedom we are all enjoying today
But AFAIK its not ment to spy on you
I can even imagine places where TCPA would be a gift
places where many ppl. have access to one PC and start "destroying" it slowly by using it ... a PC where the usage is limited to a few things
e.g. an Office PC where on Word and Excel have to work and nothing else it would be a gift for the admin to not allow applications beyond those which are needed for work

But at this time its too early to make any conclusions
We just have to wait and see what will come