Ati x850 PE PCI Express VS Dual Nvidia 6800 Ultra SLI

I am currenty in the process of upgrading my video card to PCI express. But my problem is which side to go with. Nvidia or Ati? I want to go with SLI but people tell me that the driver support is not there and for the price you pay it's the same or not much faster then going with the best that ATI has to offer.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-06-01
I am currenty in the process of upgrading my video card to PCI express. But my problem is which side to go with. Nvidia or Ati? I want to go with SLI but people tell me that the driver support is not there and for the price you pay it's the same or not much faster then going with the best that ATI has to offer. Plus I see nvidia and ati have new cards coming out soon. Should I just wait? Please give me some good feedback to point me in the right direction. :hail:

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

24 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-12-28
I cant decide that either most upgrades nowadays. If your going with either of the TOP top End cars, both are great decisions. Yet personally i think the GT cards exceed their rival cards in speed.

What i would do is find the two card both from ATI and NVIDIA, download a complete in game performance review for both from a credible reviewer.

What really pisses me off as of late the lack of idepth 2-20 video card shootuots. I want too see the 6 and X series cards thrown up against each other with multiple CPUs. They used to spring up all the time, but not as of late. You also only see maybe one or two sites actually review the current mid budget popular card months after its released. What im trying too say is bad cross spectrum video card reviews.

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
get nVidia ...
Catalyst sucks ass
Ati cards are great .... but the driver support is :oops: :oops: :oops:
I am happy about switching back to nV

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-06-01
OP
I have the x800 xt pe agp card right now. It's a great card runs all my games fast, but the thing I have to complain about is that ati does not have Shader Model 3.0. This is starting to become a big thing in games. From all the reviews and articles I have read about SLI, it doesn't sound worth spending $1000 for performance that's close to a $500 ati card. That not all games support SLI and driver support is still not all there yet. Plus also when the new nvidia/ati cards come out then I'll want to upgrade AGAIN. I know I could run dual GT's, but I'm all about Extreme Performance and I want the best for my buck. 8) 8) 8) :beer: