Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Big Problem!

13 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Right,

Need your help with this one guys.

My specs are below. The card's been running fine for 6 months (I replaced the 64MB Geforce 3 Ti 200 it had originally). SUddenyl, when I try to put in the 5.1 catalysts, all goes mad.

I get glitchiness in boot-up, and occasional freeze-ups followed by the monitor shutting down (and the machine).

I've tried reformatting/reinstalling XP. I've tried remving the drivers in normal mode and reinstalling. Same in safe mode. I've reverted back to the Catalyst 3.8's that came with the card, no difference.

It's says it's a driver problem, but WHAT CAN IT BE CONFLICTING WITH, THERE'S NO OTHER DRIVER THERE!!!!!!!!!!!

The only other options are:

1. PSU isn't powerful enough.

2. Monitor.

I'm leaning against PSU at the mo, and might get a 410w. But given my system, would that require extra cooling? I hope not.

Help!

Mark.

Dell Dimension 8200

Intel P4 1.9Ghz

768 MB RAM

128MB Radeon 9800 Pro (Peak)

60GB HDD (7,200rpm)

Posted · Report post

What do you mean by my video memory is shot? I don't understand.

I've only had the 9800 Pro for 6 months, I don't wanna buy another card yet.

Mark.

Posted · Report post

What do you mean by my video memory is shot? I don't understand.

I've only had the 9800 Pro for 6 months, I don't wanna buy another card yet.

Mark.

The Video Memory on the Video Card, The little Square black things about 4 of them i think.

Posted · Report post

I know what video memory is, but what do you mean by "it's shot"?

Are you saying my vid mem is totally destroyed? They look alright to me. No sign of burn-out or anything. How do you know?

If so, a PSU won't make any difference and I'll have to get a new card anyway.

Mark.

Posted · Report post

Re-Seat yer RAM/and VID Card. U will know if yer card is faulty cuz once it goes to a Healthy DX9 game it will crash if its bad...

Posted · Report post

the best thing would be to test the card in another PC how its working there ...

if there is the same

you should be able to RMA it ... ain't 1 year the minumum warrenty

Posted · Report post

"U need to realize yer Vid mem is on yer VID card and cannot be replaced, I find that this may be yer problem, How much CASH do u have for antoher etc."

I know you can't replace video memory. What I was asking is how do you know that it's my video memory that is bust? What are the usual symptoms of this happening. Has this happened to you? Like I say, there is no physical evidence. I'm not just gonna fork out for another card for no reason.

"(Mem goes bad VERY Unlikely in VID, BUT) "

So, now you're saying it probably ISN'T the video memory????? Please clarify this.

"and also whats er PSU ?"

PSU is power supply. The average Dell PSU is 250w. Though it has a max of 345w, it may not be enough to carry everything on my system. I don't know. I was hoping people here might.

Mertsch, what is RMA? I don't have a warranty on my card.

Mark.

Posted · Report post

RMA ... return to manufacturer ...

erm 250W default dell PSU ... hmmm

those xxxW recommendation are useless ... the important thing is mostly the 12V rail ... but thats too much detail for noobs so they say ... get a 350W PSU in general ... but yours is really below specification since its a OEM one ... not a high quality PSU which may be able to cover all power needs...

I would try a new one ...

and peak power outputs are ment to be peaks not all time standard

you should really try another one

Posted · Report post

I was thinking of buying a Silencer 410w Dell from www.pcpowerandcooling.

This should cover it I think. Given that my system isn't top spec, would it still require extra cooling?

Mark.

Posted · Report post

hmmmm

those PSUs are quite weak ...

23A for 12V rail ... a good one with 400W got around 30A

I never used dell ... are you forced to take a dell one ? whats so special about dell

I don't think you need extra cooling but you can try to compare open case with closed case if there is any difference or not and then conclude

Posted · Report post

Thanks Mertsch.

The problem with Dell is that only Dell (or "Dell compatible") PSU's (or anything else for that matter) will fit into the case.

I could get a normal ATX one, but I don't really want to cut a hole in the back of my case to fit it in. I'm not too worried about not getting the best one. I only want this machine to last another 6 months before I build my own new one.

Mark.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Mertsch.

The problem with Dell is that only Dell (or "Dell compatible") PSU's (or anything else for that matter) will fit into the case.

I could get a normal ATX one, but I don't really want to cut a hole in the back of my case to fit it in. I'm not too worried about not getting the best one. I only want this machine to last another 6 months before I build my own new one.

Mark.

get what I have even wrk's for SLI. :)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-148-001&depa=0