How to improve W2S ?

In the past 1/2 year i had not much time to work on W2s, cause of my job which tooks a lot of time. I also noticed that we have lost some visitors and I would like to ask why ? Please state how to improve W2S to bring her back, what is missing, what you would like to see.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

621 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-26
In the past 1/2 year i had not much time to work on W2s, cause of my job which tooks a lot of time.

I also noticed that we have lost some visitors and I would like to ask why ?

Please state how to improve W2S to bring her back, what is missing, what you would like to see.

A site lifes from news but without people who bring in news it s difficult to post.

If you are interested to help us out, post some news, bring your knowledge to a big croud, leave a message our contact me.

All the best and thank you for your feedback

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

500 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-02-09
:) forumsupgrade ... vbulletin or ipb2.0 (i know they r costly) something ... and portal upgrade to ..... http://mamboserver.com or http://e107.org and lets give some popular software to users with some mini - contest.

spread the word contest... i have gmail-invitees too .. and i need to bring my ass back on w2s as active poster :D

202 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-05
What about Woltlab? Is for free, too? Pretty easy to use... I can handle it without problems...

For the site... try to get an update for it. On what is it running?

Feel free to contact me per mail, also in German...

I could try to post some news, too!

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
finally add some use to the "comments?" link by adding a simple jump to page part http code

old news is still or again not working ... cklicking one will bring you to the mainpage

why are there so many forum downtimes ?

where is quick reply ?

thx

11 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-04-21
More picture icons on the news stories would be good. Just browsing the main page I only see 2 or 3 articles with a picture.

I know some are hard to identify, but winamp, for example, could be a play button or a music note or something.

More news posts of course

hm thats probably it for me

thx

Edit: there are LOTS of news posts for today. :beer:

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

52 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-11-07
erm.. how to improve.. oh yeah! ban the lamers who keep flaming the entire world in the comments. lol

18 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-02-12
Keep doing what W2S has always do: being a good and fast news site. Personnally, I don't need other fancy stuffs, I just need a good layout and good quality news.

However, the forum seems often off. However, I can still live with this...

7 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-06-01
Keep doing what W2S has always do: being a good and fast news site. Personnally, I don't need other fancy stuffs, I just need a good layout and good quality news.

However, the forum seems often off. However, I can still live with this...

ditto why fix whats not broken!!!

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-01-03
Don't know if its just me but this site is way tooooooooo slow and has been for a few months now.

Want to improve it? Then give us some fatter pipes to get in.

The site could probably do with a cosmetic change but like the others have basically said,

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

:beer:

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-12-28
Since we still visit W2S we might be the wrong people to ask what to improve

Anyway, I can't say I see any changes that made W2S better or worse. For me it's still the same since I first visited it one, two or three years ago (don't know it anymore). I always liked the fact that W2S doesn't seem to give much about eye candy but just provides news.

There's only one thing I really don't like. News like the 236534th review of let's say a geforce 6800 or radeon x800 pro. In my eyes the sites providing these news are only hunting for visitors months after these reviews were interesting.

Was I don't like too much is the way you link to other sites. There should be links under the message body of the news. Sometimes you are just using a picture and link through it (New XGI Driver 1.08.01, for example).

Oh and one question, we I click on a "Latest Forum Post" link on the mainpage it always want to connect to media.fastclick.net first. I mean I blocked it through the hosts files but it still sucks

However, for me W2S is good as it is.

621 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-26
OP
Okay, here a little statement:

Fixing forums:

Yeah, that s true. I really hate the problem but i don t know why it happens. It s not the software, looks like a hardware or a configuration problem on php / mysql. I have advised my admin to figure it out and fix it asap.

More picture icons on the news stories would be good. Just browsing the main page I only see 2 or 3 articles with a picture.

--> Pictures need a lot of bandwith and makes the site slow. that s the problem.

ban the lamers who keep flaming the entire world in the comments

--> anytime I see it, i delete it :-)

Then give us some fatter pipes to get in.

--> Fatter pipes needing more money. and still to much ads are placed. :-( but i have no choice.

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-01-12
this is a great web-site, if u want to upgrade anything, then from my point of view, it's the interface, meaning: nothing important, add more eye-candy if u want, thanks, and continue the good work ;)

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
maybe just a general code cleanup ....
if you look into the W2S mainpage code there is lots of double or useless stuff ...
OK i am not an HTML / PHP expert but I think there could be lots of optimizations here to make site to load much faster and save lots of useless traffic

202 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-05
Fully agree with that.

Maybe the "front" could get a fresher look, too? Still think, that the first page should:

1. load relatively quick
2. should look fresh and inviting
3. should have clear "icons" for the postings (even if it consumes bandwith... )

500 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-02-09
nice ... all opinions in all are nice..

me and degger are talking "behind-the-scenes" so to speak. i am sure degger is going to really spice up w2s ... i so want it... degger u know my wish list 8) .

:beer:
kyro.

202 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-05
If you and Degger* are in search of someone the help you.. degger* knows my icq-nr. ...!

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

499 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-18
whatever happened to the beta version of the new site? it was good, save for the orange colours.
i could use another commenting system - perhaps tied into the forums? so we only needed one profile...
and a more personal one: newseditor status tied into the regular profile, instead of having to log in twice (including the forums, I have 3 logins on this site )

EDIT:
in the top line of each post on the front page... add "Submitter: <? $name ?> - or whatever the submitter variable is called
people often complains about not being credited - and the place it's currently placed is not very visible and it discourages a lot of people to post news stories to us.

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
If you and Degger* are in search of someone the help you.. degger* knows my icq-nr. ...!

we all know you are having it public :beer:

202 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-05
ok... lmao... got me...! :cry:

202 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-05
and a more personal one: newseditor status tied into the regular profile, instead of having to log in twice (including the forums, I have 3 logins on this site )

EDIT:
in the top line of each post on the front page... add "Submitter: <? $name ?> - or whatever the submitter variable is called
people often complains about not being credited - and the place it's currently placed is not very visible and it discourages a lot of people to post news stories to us.

First: Agree with you! Would be wonderfull!!
Second: Might / Could be a problem with the "posting module". The admin would have to set it free. So if a news post is commited, it will be posted immediately, instead of being checked first. Then the proper name would show.
This way is more safe, as one can check the post before! Maybe it could be altered by the admin to set a "Someone posted:" in front of it. That is all you can do. The rest is too dangerous!

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-01-12
I agree with everyone here about changing the way frontend looks.
Why did you guys even drop that idea of the beta site anyway? It seemed to be a good replacement if you applied some fixes to it. I think that its time to change the layout and to move away from the crappy PHPNUKE to something that has a cleaner code and works faster. Another thing that I would like to see is more "friendlier" urls, this can be easily achieved with mod_rewrite, while currently its really hard to remember the url to some news posting. If possible have the main site integrated with the forum, so users won't have to register twice, it would be also nice to see some harmony between the main site and the forum.
Keep up the good work guys, you are number one :hail: .