ADSL speed

I have finally got my 1m ADSL. I want to know that how fast should the downloading speed be? i can only get 50.x kbps(with or with out download manager). Any tips for speed optimization would be appreciated too.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

399 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-22
I have finally got my 1m ADSL. I want to know that how fast should the downloading speed be? i can only get 50.x kbps(with or with out download manager). Any tips for speed optimization would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advances.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

1352 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-02-01
then u got DSL LIGHT
if u wanted DSL 1000 (768) then u should call ur ISP and say, that u have DSL Light and they might take a look on your Port
so, i got the same "prob", because the owner of my port got Light, and i wanted DSL 1000, but they "forgot" to change the DSL speed of my Port

19 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-08-18
www.adslguide.org

138 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-02-03
Most people think that if you have say a 3 MB Download speed that you should download files at this speed and if your Upload is say 384k that it should equate to the same thing...

This is further from the truth and I wish I knew the true or factual equation (Sure it can be Googled) to determine what you should be getting downloads at, but I've come to find that with a 3 MB download speed this equates to about 375k/sec download rate.

If you have a 384 upload and someone is trying to download off of you at this upload speed it equates to about 50-75k/sec download rate for that individual...

If you are a gamer or web site person - UPLOAD is everything DOWNLOAD means nothing - Unless you are a download fanatic as I am but you can only download something at the speeds of the other individuals UPLOAD - but for gaming or running a web site or anything connecting to you period UPLOAD is EVERYTHING...

Maybe this will help you, but those are the speeds I have with cable and that is what it all equates to for upload and download...

Here is a link to a 50mb file that you can download and see what rate you are maintaining while you download the file as in k/sec...

http://speedtest.rochester.rr.com/

Just keep an eye on the Transfer Rate and take an average of it and that should equate your true speed - you can just delete this file once it's finished downloading.

It takes me 2 minutes to download this file on average.

399 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-22
OP
Yeah i think i get the right speed.

This is further from the truth and I wish I knew the true or factual equation (Sure it can be Googled) to determine what you should be getting downloads at, but I've come to find that with a 3 MB download speed this equates to about 375k/sec download rate.

Actually, my DSL is only at 512k by the time because the area has not upgraded yet. So i guess i have to stick with 512k before i get 1m althought they cost the same.

Hey thanks everyone, i truely appreciate your comments. Thanks.

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-09-01
Most people think that if you have say a 3 MB Download speed that you should download files at this speed and if your Upload is say 384k that it should equate to the same thing...

If you have a 384 upload and someone is trying to download off of you at this upload speed it equates to about 50-75k/sec download rate for that individual...

That's because you are confusing Megabits with Megabytes. ADSL connection's are quoted in Megabits, i.e. Mb, down/upload speeds are quoted in Megabytes or kilobytes. 1 byte = 8 bits.

Hence:

384kbit connection ~ 48kB/s
512kbit connection ~ 64kB/s
1Mbit connection ~ 120kB/s
2Mbit connection ~ 256kB/s which is bang-on what I get.
3Mbit connection ~ 384 kB/s which is pretty close to what you quoted.

HTH

P69