Just Enabled 16 Pipelines instead of 12 on GF 6800!

Hello folks. . . Guess you heard the news about enabling additional pipelines in a GF 6800 standard using RivaTuner. . . . Well , I have done this. . . . . gained about an extra 1000 pts in 3dmark 03 ,.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-07
Hello folks...

Guess you heard the news about enabling additional pipelines in a GF 6800 standard using RivaTuner ....

Well , I have done this ..... gained about an extra 1000 pts in 3dmark 03 , ...in Far Cry , I have set everything to Maxed out ...albeit only at 1024 by 768 and its running sooo sooo much sweeter than before!

No artifacts, no issues at all ...and for some reason its enabled me to overclock the memory speed core up further without artifacts ... you go figure!

Its an XFX 6800 Gamers Edition with 128MB and its daaaaamn fine! :-)

Hope to bring u some screenshots of my findings soon!

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

621 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-26
Show us, would be great !!

Congrats !

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-07
I also just did this but I haven't run any tests. Tested Nvidia's Nalu a bit and no artifacts. gonna check out benchmarks later

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-07
OP
Well , here goes peeps ... the screenshots ......

1) .... just a basic view of the card in nvdia control panel

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hannah.butler4/1.JPG

2) Heres the juicy stuff .... it shows the new number of pipelines set at 16!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hannah.butler4/2.JPG

3) as you can see, shows the pixel units and vertex units that were masked ..... now enabled ! :-)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hannah.butler4/3.JPG

4) and the icing on the cake .... just a small touch of OC'in ....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hannah.butler4/4.JPG

no artifacts, all stable ..... and happy as a pig in **** !!

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

9 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-07-21
Yeah it's got 16 pipes but it still has 128 mb slow ram and way less bandwidth than my ATI X800 pro.

Sure, yours cost a lot less but WTF it's still a low end card.

Dream on with gaming at 1280 and 1600. You can't even enable max detail in COD with less than 256 mb ram and the game is over a year old!!
Similiar situation with Doom3.

BTW my card O/C'd to XT-PE levels does 11,500 in 3DM03 and even hits 10,200 at stock. Can yours even beat an ATI 9800XT?

That's my two pennyworth anyway.

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

220 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-02-07
Yeah it's got 16 pipes but it still has 128 mb slow ram and way less bandwidth than my ATI X800 pro.

Dream on with gaming at 1280 and 1600. You can't even enable max detail in COD with less than 256 mb ram and the game is over a year old!!

BTW my card O/C'd to XT-PE levels does 11,500 in 3DM03 and even hits 10,200 at stock. Can yours even beat an ATI 9800XT?

wasn't a little offensive? :lol:

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-07
OP
Bought it as a stepping stone to when bigger and better things arise .... and ive hit 13,000 in mark 03 now, and it costs alot less than ur shatty Radeon...your " look what I got attitude" will go out the window once the SLi support truly kicks in .....

what im saving my money for ..... for time being this cheaper card runs particularly crap games such as Doom 3 more than well enough!

Shoot a big bad guy .... sneak around ....same again, and again etc
The eye candy aint worth the hassle, even on my friends £4000 uber rig , doom 3 maxed out ..... with its "clay" like foes, .... dont come nr. to Far Cry! thats a step forward, ..combine that with the physics of the HL2 engine and were have REAL games on our hands! Till then, enjoy your X800 playing these mediocre titles, I await whats around the corner on the 64 bit platform willingly with more money in the coffers to hand.

614 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-21
The X800 pro is more than twice as expensive - what do you expect its performance to be compared to his card?

The thing is, he got respectable performance, very cheap. Well played.

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-07
I gained +300 in 3D Mark with the pipelines enabled.

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -

lol - isn't this just ... not true ? :hmm:
LOL you should start to understand what graka RAM is for
oh ? how comes that I can play COD with my old 9800PRO in 1280 ?
and LOL a GF6800 is better then a 9800 ... equal how long u search for the right benchmark to show the opposite ... its simply not true dot

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

19 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-08-18

FYI ur 3d marks 2003 scores are LOW. I have a 6800 GT and easily push past the 13,000 barrier.

19 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-06-10

i modded my sapphire pro to 16pipes and well past xt speeds with stock cooling here are the results

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-10-07
OP
FYI ur 3d marks 2003 scores are LOW. I have a 6800 GT and easily push past the 13,000 barrier.

I havent really paid much attention to drivers, and optimising my rig tbh .... something to work on next !

My system is an AMD Athlon 64, 3400+ @ 2.5ghz (newcastle) , Abit KV8 Pro Mobo, 1GB Ram ..... running XP w/ SP2 !!

What nvidia drivers would you recommend for this rig? ..... something not looked into, using 66.81s atm , new ones !

9 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-07-21
OK, so I'd had a bit of the amber nectar (beer) so spouted off a bit.

WTH you only live once so don't sit on the fence. I've had my X800 pro since they hit retail (at which time you couldn't buy an XT-PE or 6800) and have really enjoyed it.

Until my 9800 pro I'd always been an Nvidiot going back to TNT days. I just saw the light and crossed over to the bright side.

With new games on the horizon supposedly using up to 512 mb Vram can't see the benefit of buying a card with 128mb. I accept you might want to upgrade in the future but BTW AGP is dead and PCI-e is the next thing.

Just thought I would exit AGP with a bigger bang!!

Hosta La Vista baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warrior on the edge of time

9 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-07-21
Hey Damolee

Just took a look at your last post. 13k in 3DMO3 with your card??? At 320 x 240 if your'e lucky!!!

See the other posts... 6800 GT's are only hitting that so how can your 6800 vanilla with 128mb GDDR1 do the same???

Also, enabling 16 pipes is not the be all and end all as one post states it got them a huge 300 3DM03 marks!!

Do I smell the faint hint of bulls**t. The 2nd post says show us the numbers and where are they???

Slower memory and slower clock speeds yet you can beat a GT LOL. Why bother making a GT??

In the Kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is King, or should I say in the world you inhabit the 6800 vanilla is King!!!

LOL

9 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-07-21
Here's a snippet from Hexus.net. If you like no AA & AF read on...

"Whether it's worth it or not depends upon each user's preferred game settings. At moderate resolutions and with reasonable image enhancement GALAXY's ( ed..6800 vanilla) card does well enough. However, dialling up the load intensity highlights the shortcomings inherent in a 128MB card design."

I rest my case.

14 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-06-08
He isn't trying to turn his card into a GT, he is just getting the best he can get out of it, why don't you people understand? Kudos to you, for enabling 16 pipes, I know somecards you can't enable them in rivatuner. If you decide to overclock, I'd start with the memory first, as that is your biggest bottleneck...