Flashing down ASUS 5950 > 5900

I have had many problems with my 5900 graphiccard lately, and I have a few thoughts about what it could be, but I dont know for sure. Basicly games just freeze (Starwars Galaxies, Doom 3, Sims 2).

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

108 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-02-13
I have had many problems with my 5900 graphiccard lately, and I have a few thoughts about what it could be, but I dont know for sure.

Basicly games just freeze (Starwars Galaxies, Doom 3, Sims 2). I have reinstalled windows from scratch, but the issues remain.

One thing that improved alot was to switch from my Leadtek Winfast 5950 bios to asus 5950 with nvflash, which removed a graphic corruption issue, but I still have random freezeups.

What I want to do now is to downgrade the bios to asus 5900 again, but nvflash just tells me the bios are not compatible with the current card and wfflash refuses to downgrade as well.

Anyone have a clue upon what I can use?

Best Regards
JemyM

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

8 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-09-17
The rules for flashing back with a 5900 bios are exactly same as for flashing up with a 5950u bios !

And therefore of course the flashing program will tell you that there are card/bios ID problems. Thats because there are ID diff's, simply because you are now trying to flash a recognised 5950u setup with a lower 5900 bios.

You have to just ignore ID issues and continue with flash !!!

And for flashing,

Flash the bios using nvflash.exe v4.41

nvflash -r (removes any protection)

nvflash -b ORIGBIOS.ROM (saves original bios)

nvflash -u -p -fBIOSNAME.ROM (flash new bios file)

However because of DOS filname restriction, "ORIGBIOS.ROM" and "BIOSNAME.ROM" must have max of 8 char's in first part of filename and max of 3 char's in extender part, otherwise DOS will not recognise command.

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

399 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-22
I would tell you to get the Nvidia reference bios and then edit it with bios editor . If i am not mistaken, there is an option that force flashing, if not just edit the bios using bios editing tool, change the manufacture code, then you will be able to flash.

The freezing may cause by improper setting such as clock speed or mem clock too high etc. Using the bios edit tool to lower the setting and then flash it.

ooo and the tool can be found at www.guru3d.com.

Hope that helps.

108 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-02-13
OP
Flash the bios using nvflash.exe v4.41

5.08 just refused to work... 4.41 worked flawlessly with your guidelines. IM now back to my ol' Asus v9900 GeForce FX5900U and nothing else... I hope this solve my issues for now

Thanks alot for your help.

Hope that helps.

Jimmor cracked the nut flawlessly. Still would like to say thanks for the help in this matter.

108 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-02-13
OP
Ran my computer for 2 days stright now... The graphic is rendered flawlessly and no graphical corruptions at all.

Thanks for your help

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

8 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-09-17
No problem, glad to help !