The old Pop-Up Blocker question again

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, easy to integrate, FREE, non-spyware, pop up blocker for IE6.Have been using the Google one but this just doesn't cut it any more with latest breed of pop ups.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

62 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-09-26
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, easy to integrate, FREE, non-spyware, pop up blocker for IE6.
Have been using the Google one but this just doesn't cut it any more with latest breed of pop ups. Also tried the NView one, and that was pointless.
I would use Firefox (which has the best i've seen) but this browser just doesn't work properly on many pages, and is slower than IE6 and doesn't work with Getright.

:beer:

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

50 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-01-14
firefox slower? let me laugh

webwasher is a pretty good pop up blocker.

62 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-09-26
OP
firefox slower? let me laugh

It's slower for me,

Average Time of 3 x Full Page Refreshs (local ISP Blueyonder.co.uk),

IE6 = 5.85 Seconds (5.87,5.55,6.14)
FF (v0.9.2) = 8.31 (11.43,6.86,6.63)

Laugh away, but don't always believe the hype.

Still I do like Firefox for many things, but I wish it sorted Bookmarks alphabetically like IE and the Download manager could find alternate sites like getright, then I would go with it.

138 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-02-03
Google Toolbar

I use this on all my computers and it works great and not to mention it has the best search engine built right in and it integrates right into the IE Address Bar...

And of course the other is a good one also FireFox - But SP2 is right around bend and it will finally have pop-up blocker built into IE - I'm using SP2 also so it really is pop-up free...

Don't forget to turn off the service and disable Messenger service within your services if you are using 2000 or XP... Have fun... Let me know what you think...

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

196 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-01-07
gotta agree about the gooogle toolbar. POW! from AnalogX is also a great tool and will block things google may miss...

62 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-09-26
OP
Google doesn't take care of the Popup you get when loading warp2search main page. i.e. 'CONGRATULATIONS - YOUR A WINNER'. I must be so lucky I seem to win every time
It worries me that there are enough idiots in the world to click on these sort of popups to make it worthwhile for them to keep appearing, thats what irritates me the most.

Ah well i'll stick it out with Google, at least until SP2 comes along, maybe the only useful part of it. Aready got good firewall & DX9.0c installed, what else does it do?

Thanks.

BANNER QUESTION - WHATS YOUR IQ, CLICK HERE!
Answer - Low, but not low enough to make me click there!

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
have u enabled pipelining in firefox ??? to load simultanous ... this may fix ya speed problem

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-16
I also use the Google toolbar to block popups. But like others I kept getting popups from right here, Warp2Search.

Since I also run Norton's Internet Security program I turned on it's popup blocker. Norton blocks Warp2Search's popups!!!

So I now run BOTH Google popup blocker and Norton popup blocker. I haven't had ANY popups anywhere since!

btw.. Norton let's some popups through. This is why I run both blockers.

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

196 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-01-07
I took the URL from that damned pop-up and put in my Restricted sites on IE, haven't seen it since...(and feel a lot more like a winner!)
Install SpyBot, AdAware and SpywareBlaster along with the Google toolbar and POW!, if using IE your life will be MUCH easier online while surfing...

28 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-02-24
Google doesn't take care of the Popup you get when loading warp2search main page. i.e. 'CONGRATULATIONS - YOUR A WINNER'. I must be so lucky I seem to win every time
It worries me that there are enough idiots in the world to click on these sort of popups to make it worthwhile for them to keep appearing, thats what irritates me the most.

Ah well i'll stick it out with Google, at least until SP2 comes along, maybe the only useful part of it. Aready got good firewall & DX9.0c installed, what else does it do?

Thanks.

BANNER QUESTION - WHATS YOUR IQ, CLICK HERE!
Answer - Low, but not low enough to make me click there!

Yes, the technical costs are so low that only 0.001% (or what was it?) has to fall into the trap to make it profitable.

Same holds for spam.

There's just no escaping, aaaaaargh, good thing I'm going on a holiday tomorrow. :finger:

220 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-02-07
have u enabled pipelining in firefox ??? to load simultanous ... this may fix ya speed problem

where's that mertsch? may be i could try that
btw, i'm a ff user

EDIT: never mind.
i've found it
about:config
:wink:

EDIT2:

62 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-09-26
OP

EDIT: never mind.
i've found it
about:config
:wink:

Yes ha ha, very helpful. :wink:

277 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-02-10
I use Firefox, and it's plenty fast for me... (is 2-3 seconds on a page refresh really going to hurt you?) Try one of the optimized builds:
http://www.moox.ws/tech/mozilla/

I also support any blocker that nukes that %#()*#$ university of phoenix talking banner.

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

7 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-11-27
try opera

62 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-09-26
OP
Thanks Mertsch and others,

Thought i was running 0.9.2, but it was 9.1, updated to 9.2. Also installed Pipelining options in user.js, but as someone said I see can also be done in about:config.

Seems a bit snappier, having fun playing with Themes. AND NO POPUPS!

Thanks for the tips.