Linux for old PC´s

Found this interesting article over linuxcompatible. org here LINUX FOR OLD PCs As Linux distributions strive to be more user friendly and to compete head-on with MS-Windows, the hardware requirements keep rising.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

1352 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-02-01
Found this interesting article over linuxcompatible.org here

LINUX FOR OLD PCs

As Linux distributions strive to be more "user friendly" and to compete head-on with MS-Windows, the hardware requirements keep rising. Most distros now expect you to have a Pentium with 32meg RAM and lots of HDD space. Yes, indeed, you sure need a powerful machine for all that point-and-click eye-candy.

But, don't be fooled. Linux runs happily on 386s and 486s. An old 386-33 with 8meg RAM and 80meg HDD can be turned into a capable Linux machine. In a network environment, such a machine can provide a variety of useful functions, such as Xterminal, print server, file server, DNS server, router or firewall. In a personal environment, it can serve as a word-processor, spreadsheet, email system and internet browser. Just don't expect eye-candy.

The Linux GUI requires more processing power. Reasonable performance is possible from a 486-33 with 12meg RAM and 120meg HDD, but you must take care not to overload the system (eg. a small-footprint wm is a must). It is also possible to network two 486s together and share the X workload. This provides surprisingly good performance.

I run Linux exclusively on old PCs and have learned by experience how to get good performance from these machines. If you are interested in running Linux on a 386 or 486, then you may find these pages useful.

# Top 10 ways to improve performance.
# Which distribution is best for an old PC ?
# Rescue disks and mini-distributions.
# Small-footprint browsers.
# Using an old ethernet card.
# Using a laplink cable.
# Running X on low-end 486s.

if u want to read the full article
check this Link

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

500 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-02-09
looks very interesting article .. good one .

499 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-18
what do they think of as 'old machines'?
to me a Pentium with 32mb ram is OLD
cause it cant run shite :P

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

43 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-17
what do they think of as 'old machines'?
to me a Pentium with 32mb ram is OLD
cause it cant run shite

In a network environment, such a machine can provide a variety of useful functions, such as Xterminal, print server, file server, DNS server, router or firewall. In a personal environment, it can serve as a word-processor, spreadsheet, email system and internet browser. Just don't expect eye-candy.

someones been in windows too long el;)

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
Linux for servers ... no question
but you can't make an old PC to new just by changing OS ... in fact there are special things that run better on LINUX ...
but for the average user ... the dummy ... the 95% of all - Linux will bring not a single bit of improvement here ... if will just run as windows ... I know this very well since we had some of those "old" PCs at school and I myselfe played around there ... I even installed linux quite a few times since it did not work propably ... and I can tell ya there was nothing that was any better then with windows ... it just runs slow ...
the only thing different .... it was ugly and it was complicate ... I know I know ... linux guy would kill me for this ... but its simply the truth ...

just my 2 cents

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

500 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-02-09
it was ugly and it was complicate ... I know I know ... linux guy would kill me for this ... but its simply the truth ...

just my 2 cents

:evil:

WHAT DID U SAY? ... i am firing up my linux box and will post some screenies.

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
What did I say! :lol:

1352 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-02-01
OP
please don´t post so ....
if u have to say something then please if there is has a sensefull content