Overclock AMD 2600+ Barton went NUT!!

Since it reads, Powered by ATI. . . I assume that that box is an OEM manufacturer. If it read, Built by ATI. . . then it would be an ATI built card!.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-12-27
Guys, I got some very serous probelm when overclock my machine.
Any help will be very appreciated.

CPU: AMD2600+ Barton (1913 MHz, running at 1.696V or 1.720V)
MOBO: GA-7N400 Pro2
RAM: 512 PC2700 (2.5, 3, 3, 7, running at 2.6V)
8xAGP: Radeon 9200 SE (running at 1.5V)

that's all you need to know when overclock right?
regarding to my CPU votage, i get different reading with different software. CPU-Z give me 1.696V, Eazy Tune 4 give me 1.720.
now the problem is, the system get very unstable when I pump up FSB, even just a little. My machine restart itself constantly when running at 180FSB, (2080 MHz, leaving all other configuration the same, tried running RAM syn and asyn). The worst part is, when I pump the FSB to 200FSB, the machine won't even start. I have to open the case and reset the BIOS in order to be able to switch my mahine on again.

I tried to raise my CPU votage, but after I adjust it in BIOS, I can't see any change in votage.

so experts, what's my problem?

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
u must go higher with CORE voltage ....
when you set you FSB to 200 MHz u OC your CPU that much that he simpyl can't work at 1.7V give him more ....
also very important the higher the CPU usage is the lower Voltage he gets!
change the multiplicator of you CPU much lower and first try 200 MHz FSB with default CPU speed now go and raise CPU multi step by step when it gets instable go more voltage ...

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
ah and ... when voltage raise does not work do a CMOS reset ! wit CMOS clear jumper

.... look I use 1.73V but that not the normal voltage thats the voltage under 100% cpu usage in BIOS I have set 1.775 in BIOS it is 1.77-1.76 in win its 1.75-1.74 and under 100% 1.73 ..

oh and btw raise ur RAM voltage to 2.7v this could bring some extra stability and will not damage ur RAM ... 2.9+ is critical 2.7 is normal for high speed RAM

79 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-06-09
AMD 2600+ = 333fsb (166)
you use PC2700 = 333mhz
*= which would be stable

AMD 2600+ @ 360fsb (180)
you use PC2700 = 333mhz
*= would be unstable

2600+ @ 400fsb (200)
if you use PC3200 = 400mhz
*= would be stable

When you run it at 180fsb (360) then you are ocing by 27 usually that will cause some instablity, now the only way you can oc and still be stable is if you either buy PC3200 ram (400mhz) or you oc your ram which if it is high quality than it can workout, also bartons tend to not be as hot as other processors so ocing the processor shouldnt be the problem, but if you tend to oc the ram then that might need better cooling.

If you get PC3200 (400) ram there shouldnt be any change in voltages and all you would have to do is up the fsb to 200x11 = (2.2ghz (3200+)) with little or no changes in temperature.

*note changing voltages can cause unstablity and changes in temperature, do at your own risk*

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

501 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-11-19
higher voltage and your ram sucks

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-12-27
OP
Guys, I appreciate all your help. Thx alot.
It seens like most people focus the problem to my RAM, but the problem is, I've tried running my RAM asynchornisly, (that is run my CPU at 200 FSB or 180 FSB while my RAM at 166) and it still don't work. The machine won't even turned on.
1 more thing, how do I rise core voltage? in BIOS? I tried that, I give the core voltage a extra 5% but it didn't make any difference. The voltage reading is still the same.
Finally, i don't think you can change Barton CPU's mutiplier right?

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
wrong ....
take ur barton out of PC ... the check the black label on the CPU there is one 4 digit code which must end 03 e.g. 3403 this means week34 year 03 when you got a barton below week 39 you can change multi 100% sure
2nd ... can you set voltage Directly ??? or just some f*** like + 3% + 5% + 10% ???
so 1 thing to so is go 200MHz FSB and let RAM + CPU run at default speed RAM ... u know how and CPU by multi then raise multi .... all in BIOS

399 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-22
Don't rise the FSB, cause you have pc 2700 (333) which is equal with the speed of your processor. Try to rise the Multiplier (just as i do cause i have the same problem as you). If the system can't boot or became unstable, rise the Vcore, until it boot or became stable .

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

5 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-12-14
i would bet my pet goat that its your ram... you prob have your basic pc2700 which is basicly overclocked pc2100 from the manufacturer. put some corsair pc3200 or kingston hyper-x and your probs will be solved... i know your hoping a little tweak hear and their will solve your probs.. but you will have to shell out a little $$ for the proper ram if you wanna oc anymore than 175-180mhz :hail: :hail: :hail:

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-12-27
OP
Hi Guys, thx for the help.
Ok, regarding to the RAM, I bring my RAM to my friend's place. He got the same mobo, but a different CPU. AMD2500+ Barton (mine is 2600+ Barton), I plug my RAM in, pump FSB up to 200Mhz, and it runs perfectly fine.
I took the RAM home, I tune up FSB to 180MHz, pumped up my Vcore voltage to 1.76V, pump my RAM voltage to 2.7V, the system still unstable. It crushed shortly after I played warcraft 3.
Now, can someone tell me is there a way to adjust my mutiplier? I went to BIOS, pressed Ctrl + F1, some additional thing come up but it don't have a mutiplier adjustment place. BTW, in my BIOS, I can only change voltage by increase 5%, 7.5% or 10%.

I got a software called Eazy Tune 4, it got change mutiplier function on that but it is disabled. I think its due to the fact that my CPU is locked.

Is there a good OC software that allow me to change VCore and mutiplier?

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
nah its not the CPU its your motherbouard .... a motherboard with +5% or such BS is not worth the money ... you should consider updrading to a Abit NF7 this motherboard gives you ALL possibilities to OC your CPU like you want ... and btw its really cheap ... you can get it for 70€ here which I think is more then fair for sucha high end motherboard

and again to the others ... he ran his RAM ASYNCHRONOUS ... it equal what FSB he set the RAM is under its limit .... its is definitivly the CPU which is OCed too much and will then crash .... go NF7(-S if u want SATA) seel ur old mobo and OC like YOU want then ... but check the lable as I said

399 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-22
No way can change the multiplier if your mobo doesn't allow it. If you are can spend some cash, go buy a mobo or RAM, but if you considering upfrading, i would suggest that you upgrade your mobo. Anyway, you still can't set the FSB to 200 with the new mobo but you can increase the multiplier. Believe me increasing the multiplier gives much more speed. The fomular is,
FSB x Multiplier.