Best graphics card of all time?

Now I started this thread so that you could tell us what you think is the best graphics card of all time. I don't want any Nvidia vs. ATi statements, keep that for flameage topics.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

614 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-21
Now I started this thread so that you could tell us what you think is the best graphics card of all time. I don't want any Nvidia vs. ATi statements, keep that for flameage topics . All I want is to know what you think is the best GFX card you've ever bought/used and why. Don't all say 5900 Ultra/9800 Pro, I mean even if you bought a GeForce 2, 4 years ago and loved it back then its good for this thread. What was your best GFX experience?

Mine:

GeForce 4 ti4200. My first AGP graphics card, wasn't the best when I bought it (4600 came out ) but hell that card was fast for the time - Sales figures prove that.
I'd still use it now instead of my Radeon had it not have burnt...

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

252 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-22
Mine would have to be the Voodoo 3000 PCI as my first ever bought GFX card. I loved it because it lasted me for along time and I got great software support (until Nvidia bought them of course :x ).

The graphics on my games were great-ish (I say ish because it was PCI) but that was just a minor set-back.
So their ya go. Mine is the Voodoo 3000.

But now I got the GF4 Ti4200 but since you said no Ati vs Nvidia stuff and even though I aint saying that I thought id leave out ma GF4.

:D

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

399 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-22
For me the the card that i love the most (2.5 years ago) was the Asus v7700 Deluxe (Geforce 2 GTS). I like this card cause it enable me to play almost any game in my almost dream speed. I also put it up with my TV and it works just great. I can play all my favourite games in big screen. That is my sweetest memories for my first powerful AGP card :wink: .

So, my pick is the "GeForce 2 GTS (32mb)"

It is very hard to get those memory back to me, these day. Because the advancement in GPU is so quick and all of them are expensive :cry: .

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
a Ti4200 is a very good thing .... but I think I will switch to a 9800 PROSE when HL2 or Doom III is out

499 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-18
prolly the voodoo2 i got back in the day when it was brand new and my Intel 2d card was crap.

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
thats the problem ... thatere is no best card of all time .... you can only take per periode of time .... @ voodoo times it was voodoo ... and so on ..

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-08-30
Of the graphics cards I've had over the years 2 have really stood out, The first Geforce 256 DDR (an Annihilator Pro) was incredible at the time, its a great card and only in the last 6 months have I come across games it wasn't powerfull enough to handle, and there was something special about having the 1rst GPU. The 2nd is my AIW 9700 Pro, Even who has never owned an AIW is missing out they are incredible cards, and then throw in the fact that this was the first AIW that was just as powerfull as the regular version. I've owned a couple others inbetween and on diffrent systems but none of them made me giddy like those 2

50 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-01-14
The riva 128 was an amazing card, it was almost 2x faster than the voodoo 1 baaaaaaaack then when 3dfx was #1. That's when nvidia started to boost up nice cards ;)

501 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-11-19
Naw naw
Dual Voodoo 2 SLI'S

28 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-01-27
This is a fun topic

My First 3D Videocard was a S3 Trio3D it supported only DirectX (but very bad.. it kinda sucked!!) then i got a Intel 740 AGP (My First AGP videocard) but many games didn't play very well with that card.
3Dfx came with Voodoo 1.. damn.. that card ROCKED!! played ever 3Dfx compatible (Glide) game very smoothly.

3Dfx Voodoo 2 came out with SLI! and i thought i must try that out.. so i bought 2 Voodoo 2's and it worked great! much better then Voodoo 1.

Then Nvidia created RIVA TNT 2 Ultra and the reviews of the card were great! much faster and runs much smoother. So i bought that card and replaced it with my 2x 3Dfx Voodoo 2. But i missed the 3Dfx compatibility (Glide). And the TNT2 was not always stable, the games "Freezed" allot and the drivers support was not good.

3Dfx came with the Voodoo 3 series but around the same time Nvidia created there first GPU, the Nvidia GeForce 256.
I bought the 3Dfx Voodoo 3 3500TV it was one of the best cards i ever had! it could do anything!! (with TV stuff i mean..) it was more stable then the Riva TNT 2 Ultra and i had my 3Dfx compatibility (Glide) back.

I Just had my Voodoo 3 3500TV and my Dad came back from Taiwan (for his work) and he gave me an Nvidia GeForce 256. I was VERY HAPPY!! the world's fastest VideoCard (at the time) in my hands. So i installed the card and tested the games.. but i was very disappointed.. almost all my games didn't work anymore.. many didn't support the card ot "Freezed" all the time. The drivers where very bad. So i switched back to my Voodoo 3 3500TV.

A few weeks later i heard Nvidia had released new drivers.. Detonators 6.50 (And i thought.. shall i try it again?) because the newer games needed a fast VideoCard and the GeForce 256 was the fastest at the moment! So i installed the videocard and installed the new drivers, and now most games DID WORK much faster and smoother before.

3Dfx annouced Voodoo 4 series and Voodoo 5 series at the same time! But also Nvidia GeForce 2 Series where released. And i really wanted that Voodoo 5 6000 card, it looked so much promising! but they did something wrong.. they wanted to sell the card by.. themselfs. (No money from other manufactures anymore) And so 3Dfx got almost broke and lost the battle against Nvidia. Nvidia bought there Rival 3Dfx and said that 3Dfx compatibility will be in the next GeForce series.

Time passed by.. and no more 3Dfx compatibility (Glide) games where developed.

GeForce 3 was released by Nvidia and had no 3Dfx compatibility but it was much faster then the GeForce 2 Series. The drivers support was much improved. And the reviews were perfect. My Dad came bad from USA (for his work) and he had suprise for me.. A Nvidia GeForce 3. i could not believe my eye's. So i replaced my Old GeForce 256 for the GeForce 3. It was really the best card i ever had, the games worked perfect, and all my friends hated me that i got a GeForce 3

I still have my "Old" Nvidia GeForce 3.. that was the best card i ever had. I had never troubles with the card or the drivers. But someday my Old GeForce 3 is gonna be replaced by the latest ATI Radeon.. because in all "my videocard years" i never had a ATI Card...

The End.

(PS. Damn.. this i a BIG story..)

614 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-03-21
OP
thats the problem ... thatere is no best card of all time .... you can only take per periode of time .... @ voodoo times it was voodoo ... and so on ..

I meant YOUR best card of all time. When you bought it, which one really dazzled you? :D

363 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-04-11
my first card was S3 SPEA 1MB really bad card with no dx support...so replaced shortly with Geforce 256 and then the my tuning phase begans...i overclocked it and modded to a quadro card.puh was risky the card was brand new at this time.hmm i upgraded then to gf2mx->gf2gts->gf3 all the cards were own3d by me due to overclocking....and wrong bios crc flashes.(cleared ROM and forgot to flash ROFL).shiat...so used the old geforce256 till last month...now got asus geforce fx 5200 coz it was a very cheap solution for my server system.my next card would be a radeon coz a heard a lot of goos things about this cards and never had one

-hehe here ends the story-

7 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-06-01
it had to be my Voodoo 5 5500...great card...wish i still had it!

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -

I meant YOUR best card of all time. When you bought it, which one really dazzled you?

And there is non .... my first 3D card was an ATI 2MB bulk card with my new PC at that time .... it was great to see real 3D then a Voodoo Banshee ..... which gave great performance and quality ... then a GF2GTS which was awesome at that time ... tehn a GF4MX which was a disapointment ... now a Ti4200
but exept the GF4MX all card were great .... there is no winner of all time

79 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-06-09
Monster 3D II Voodoo2 12mb (the one where u can hook two of em together), i was playing Decent I/II back then and loved it, using 3dfx glide... then the Voodoo 3 16mb's came out and then after that a friend bought a GeForce 256, and i was like wtf happened to 3dfx, then next thing you know they were bought... memories :(

108 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-02-13
Jumping from Voodoo 2 to GeForce 256 was the greatest jump I ever made. Since then, no hardware upgrade have had larger impact on my performance.

196 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-01-07
it has to be my ATI Radeon 64mb VIVO that I bought almost three years ago to take the place of a Voodoo 5 5500 that disappeared in 3dfx's warranty department. I eventually got two Voodoo 5 cards back from them (!) but because of the vastly superior image quality of the ATI I never used the 3dfx cards again. With the latest ATI drivers it still looks great on a a 21" Sony GDM-F500R...

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-09-26
Voodoo 3500 tv, best card I ever had, in fact I still use it in my secondary machine to record some tv stuff with it.
Bought it brand new when it first came out, still have the "upgrade to Unreal Tournament for free" coupon and never used it for reasons I cant explain lol

499 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-18
intel i740 -> vodoo 2 --> matrox g400 (i loved that one) --> Ati Radeon 64 vivo --> Ati Radeon 8500 --> Sapphire Radeon 9500np --> ATi?

9 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-11-03
Oh man. lets see. When i first was getting into PCs, I purchased an IBM Aptiva P1 133. It had like a 1GB HDD and 8MB Ram with a Trident 1MB Video, not to mention that ultra fast 28.8 Modem. That set it all off for me. My next 'big' pc purchase was a custom system from a local pc shop. It was a Celleron 366, with 64MB Ram and a whopping integrated SiS 8MB Video (shared) that rulled. But as far as best GXF card experiance, it has to be my 'old' Ti4600. I had seen it on TechTV and all i talked about was getting the LeadTech WinFast Ti4600 w/128MB video. I read every article in print and on the web for juicy tidbits of info, pics, and benches. Finnaly i had ammased my cash (400+$) and purchased a BFG-Tech Asylum Ti4600 from my local BestBuy. When I got it home, I had to take a break from my card installation cause i was physically shaking from the excitement. I gamed, and benched all day and night, and when it was time for me to sleep...i gamed some more. Of cource that card didnt go into my last described system, I had a new one at the time but because this is a gfx discussion i didnt want to go into all the details of my pc specs. That Ti card did however replace a GF4 MX440.

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

7 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-11-27
VOODOO 2 hehe