WinDVD or PowerDVD?? (UPDATED!!)

I want to know which DVD player YOU think it is the Best!! Why it's the Best, Better Sound?, Better Support? etc. Updated: Look at My Latest post downbelow!!.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

28 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-01-27
I want to know which DVD player YOU think it is the Best!!
Why it's the Best, Better Sound?, Better Support? etc.

Updated: Look at My Latest post downbelow!!

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

499 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-12-18
PowerDVD..

because it just works better for me... interface and such. plus it has all the state of the art features.. so.. easy choice

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-06-01
powerdvd for sure. Better sound and picture and easy to use.

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
There is NO favorite DVD Player ALL do suck ....
but PowerDVD since it is the only player which plays all (s)VCDs

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

265 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-05-28
PowerDVD! WinDVD is very slow IMO

277 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-02-10
I prefer using a DVD codec from klite codec pack (or other location, like installing Windvd/Powerdvd) then playing the dvd in MPC (http://gabest.org/mpc.php) it just seems a lot faster and less bulky than the other commercial players.

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
hey chicken ... Do you know a codec like the one for DVD which also playes (S)VCDs ??? because the PowerDVD codec only playes DVDs

so I can us WMP cus MPC is not that comfortable ... then I can use PowerDVD

196 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-01-07
I like Power DVD because it came bundled with my video card and it works. The image quality improved after the last free update and there is a slight bit of tweaking you can do to it. Do any other offer better tunability? Any recommendations?

11 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-07-14
Powerdvd is the Best,because the less use of system recources ,but windvd is is good but it needs more system recources and processor power,but with the tweaker you can make video rendering faster then Powerdvd this is my experience with both programs, but i prefer Powerdvd

Greetz Murdock.

91 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-05-21
I have both WinDVD 5 and PowerDVD 5 on my system and have used both. PowerDVD seems to generate a LOT more video artifacts (like it can't read the video correctly) where during the same video segment, WinDVD produces smooth results (no artifacts). I find this to be especially true during SVCD playback. Whoever said WinDVD can't play SVCDs is full of shit, by the way. It plays them just fine (at least on my system).

As to sound quality, I have to give the nod to PowerDVD. Of ALL the software DVD players I've tried, PowerDVD produces (by far) THE best audio experience around. Now ... if they can just fix their video playback.

All that said, the software DVD player I actually USE (more often than not) is MPC (Media Player Classic ... http://gabest.org/). It's FREE, it's THE fastest player around and it plays EVERYTHING without a hitch. It plays DVD, VCD, SVCD, DivX (as long as you have the decoder installed), Real Media, QuickTime .MOV files, Window WMV files ... you name it. The latest version (6.4.5.9 beta) adds some new features that even hard-nosed users (like myself) can appreciate. It's distributed under the GNU licensing agreement and has it's roots in Unix but looks like the old media player Windows started out with (hence the "Classic" label).

Sure ... WinDVD and PowerDVD are very pretty, very slick ... and very bloated with crap that slows them down to the point where I simply stop using them. Give me a clean interface without a lot of junk to get in the way, and I'm happy.

Later,
AL

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
Whoever said WinDVD can't play SVCDs is full of shit, by the way. It plays them just fine (at least on my system).

Maybe that changed but when I tried WinDVD 4.x the first time
the first one did not work is just said unknow format ... so i tried a second one ... it started to read it but did not continue ... that was enough for me ...
btw both worked with PowerDVD so they worked basically

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-07-17
I think they're both pretty much the same, at least they support pretty much the same features. Lately tho, I've been starting using PowerDVD instead, mainly because of its superior filters, which allow the use of all the nice video and audio settings, Virtual Dolby and all that, in all other video-players as well. I've been trying to do it for years with WinDVD, but it just doesn't work very well. The use of filters in other players really negates the need for powerdvd, but I really don't watch a lot of dvd's, and at least my divx' sound nice :)

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

500 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-02-09
power DVD ofcourse

28 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-01-27
OP
I have tested PowerDVD and WinDVD allot..

And here is my conclusion.

PowerDVD is good player.. good sound and the movie look really great!

And WinDVD is a good player too! Good Sound and the movie look much smoother then PowerDVD. And with the latest WinDVD Platinum 5.1 B05.005 version they really updated the player.

There is only one thing. I have an SoundBlaster Audigy 2 with Creative Inspire 6.1 6700 Speakerset. And with WinDVD i hear every speaker give full sound! With PowerDVD i don't hear sound from one of by rear box.

Maybe PowerDVD is working on this.. but WinDVD already has it.

So i suggest that al the people who use PowerDVD.. try the latest version of WinDVD!! and then think again which DVDPlayer you like best!!

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
just tried WinDVD 5.0 to see whats new ....
no reading problems found .... but it is not a single bit better then PowerDVD and most used functions like open drive or something like that are that hidden .... PowerDVD is still the best ... btw not 5 I am talking of 4 .... but as I said .... there is no Player that really kicks ass ... tey do the job but ... no player does more then this ..

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
btw not that you get me wrong ... I do NOT want more features or something like that .... I want a player that does what !I! want and this should be easy and fast .... e.g. stupid "save last volume setting"

WTF ?! when I start PowerDVD I want the damn volume like any other app not the one I used one month ago ....
or WTF is wave combined with general volume ??? ah damn I better stop here ..... :oops: