Rancho*s new PC should have...

OK people due in some weeks time I'm going to assemble a new PC for myself and I would like to know your opinin on what I've chosen. Some components are still subject to change due to the fact that I'm undecided on them or they're not available yet.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

621 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-26
OK people due in some weeks time I'm going to assemble a new PC for myself and I would like to know your opinin on what I've chosen.
Some components are still subject to change due to the fact that I'm undecided on them or they're not available yet. Let's get started:
LIAN LI PC 60 MIDI Tower ATX
with 430 watts Enermax power supply
AMD Athlon CPU 1.4 Ghz or up (hopefully the 1.53 Ghz Palomino will be available then)Swifttech MCX370 CPU cooler
ABIT KR7-RAID KT266A Mobo. Read more about it here: www.warp2search.net/article.php?sid=292&mode=thread&order=0512 megs Infineon DDR-RAM 266 CL2ABIT Siluro GeForce 3Rounded IDE & floppy cablesCreative Labs Audigy Sound CardIBM DTLA 307030 7200 RPM HDDAcer DVD-ROM 1640A2LG CED-CDRW 8080B CD writer
Please tell me if you think this is a good setup or what you would possibly change...
Thanks folks!

[ This Message was edited by: Rancho* on 2001-09-12 09:19 ]

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-09-12
Sounds nice, but i would change the mobo and gf3 to asus, like a7m266 and v8200.. But that's only my personal opinion :smile:

13 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-09-08
Very nice indeed, very similar too my own system, the only thing I would suggest is the ThermoEngine V60-4225 (Socket A/FC-PGA)instead (I will vouch for it being absoultly amazing - if you get it though remove the compound that comes on it and use Arctic Silver II compound instead) you can see both here :

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Onl...es_27.html#a139

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Onl...rs_18.html#a160

Additionally...

I would go for Dual IBM 60GXP 41.2GB UDMA100
drives and use Raid-0 Stripeing, this is awesome.. That would probably mean having to go for a KG7-RAID or similar board tho..

Sounds sweet as is tho :smile:

621 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-26
OP
Well the HDD & DVD & CDRQ drive are from my old system....

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-09-16
I'm ok for the ACER DVD, but a plextor burner would be nice. You won't take any case fan?

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-09-28
Like everything (including the Abit MB because I'm partial to their BIOS and their is a larger community of help in the forums if you need it).

With what your using money doesn't seem to be much of a concern so my only suggestion would be a Plextor or TDK CDRW instead of the LG unit. I do repair/upgrade work on the side and CD ROM drives are by far THE most common item I have replaced due to failure. Do yourself a favor and don't skimp here. Plus, being a relatively fast improving technolgy, you should also consider the increased resale value of the Plextor/TDK vs. an LG drive.

Also, VIP here, consider what software is included in your package (some OEM's include NONE).....I like Nero software vs Adaptec....so that is another point to consider as you shop. (although neither can match CloneCD for backups:))

Otherwise, kudos on your choices....... You should have yourself a killer box!

[ This Message was edited by: jl3comp on 2001-09-28 03:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: jl3comp on 2001-09-28 03:05 ]

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-01-08
I'll make some reccomendations on what I think would be the nicest setup, but before I do I would need to know what kind of budget you have.

Personally, I'm a fan of iwill motherboards, so I would invest in the new iwill xp333-R. If you're looking for a good place to get components, check out uBid, they've got sweet deals (I picked up a 160gb HD off there last night for $179, ATA133 5400rpm -- im only using it for storing mp3s so 7200rpm is of no importance, but still.. sweet deal right?). Anyway, let me know what your budget is and I'll fill you in on some good buys.