Logging in problem. Win XP

Quite a long time ago a windows update caused computers to save 'personal settings' and log out automatically immediately upon log in. At the time my PC only had one User account and the problem was easily solved by a simple restore, removal of password followed by a new Windows Update that solved the problem.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2010-10-24
Quite a long time ago a windows update caused computers to save 'personal settings' and log out automatically immediately upon log in. At the time my PC only had one User account and the problem was easily solved by a simple restore, removal of password followed by a new Windows Update that solved the problem. Have just 'inherited' a Fujitsu laptop, running XP, that has this problem update but, unfortunately, has 2 user accounts and, apparently the owner tried logging in on both accounts so the Restore to last successful . . doesn't solve the problem. As the info on the laptop is of no interest to me I would have been happy to format the hard drive (probably would have anyway if there had been NO problem with logging on so as to set it up as I like) but the inbuilt cd/dvd does not work. Have tried plugging in an external cd drive but can't get it to work as needs to be installed with windows. Have an external A Drive so could, presumably, start up in DOS but don't know how to delete the user accounts/passwords. Can any one help? Please!

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

202 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-05
Have you tried starting in safe mode? (F8 while starting, then choose)

Eventualy that might help, or at least you could try to get rid of the last update for win.