I miss the old days of this site

I have to admit i stopped checking this site months ago. Several months ago for that matter. I went on to just looking at neowin. I will post why and hopefully it will be fixed.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

20 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-06-13
I have to admit i stopped checking this site months ago. Several months ago for that matter. I went on to just looking at neowin. I will post why and hopefully it will be fixed.

I used to wake up every morning and check the news here and checked throughout the day. I found the reviews interesting and it always seemed like warp2search always had an inside scoop or had some good news to post. W2S always seemed to put time and effort into the news by making them articles as well. I miss those days.

It seems now all i see posted on the front page is just stuff you would find at download.com or betanews.com. But not even beta news style articles...just the random programs they povide to download are listed here or just a link and a title to someone elses review or input about the topic.

What happened to the summery reviews that used to be posted under all the news articles? What happened to the indepth review process by warp2search news posters? I miss that. It just seems anymore that all you guys do is go out and find some tidbit of information...post a link and create a topic. There was a time on this site that the summery reviews of topics were so indepth on the front page that you might only have 5 news posts up there and updated most of the day. This site seemed to just be up to par with all the other review/news sites.

I dont mean to run this site down at all. Im only offering feedback of what i miss about this site. I want to come back here for my news but until the just random copy and pasting of links and absolutly no time at all being put into the news posted i will have to get my tech news elsewhere.

Just one suggestion...do not ever get news from the Inquirer. They are about as much of a reliable source as a babbling idiot locked up in an insane aslyum thats eating his/her own feces.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

data/avatar/default/avatar01.webp

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-09-14
I have to say well put and I agree.

I realize that things went on behind the scenes last year, but its quality not quantity that counts.

Still, it's nice to see the site still running, its still in my favourites out of affection!

I used to wake up every morning and check the news here and checked throughout the day. I found the reviews interesting and it always seemed like warp2search always had an inside scoop or had some good news to post. W2S always seemed to put time and effort into the news by making them articles as well. I miss those days.

It seems now all i see posted on the front page is just stuff you would find at download.com or betanews.com. But not even beta news style articles...just the random programs they povide to download are listed here or just a link and a title to someone elses review or input about the topic.

What happened to the summery reviews that used to be posted under all the news articles? What happened to the indepth review process by warp2search news posters? I miss that. It just seems anymore that all you guys do is go out and find some tidbit of information...post a link and create a topic. There was a time on this site that the summery reviews of topics were so indepth on the front page that you might only have 5 news posts up there and updated most of the day. This site seemed to just be up to par with all the other review/news sites.

I dont mean to run this site down at all. Im only offering feedback of what i miss about this site. I want to come back here for my news but until the just random copy and pasting of links and absolutly no time at all being put into the news posted i will have to get my tech news elsewhere.

Just one suggestion...do not ever get news from the Inquirer. They are about as much of a reliable source as a babbling idiot locked up in an insane aslyum thats eating his/her own feces.

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
sadly, I totally have to agree

The main problem here is that back in the old days NewsFactory posted nearly all news and he had a pretty good sense of what is news-worthy and what not

to give a example ... I have so many links to so many text editors over the past month then ever before ... and I really checked some out ... In the end they all more or less sucked and there is only one REAL choice for most people (Notepad++)
now NF did know that and posted only updates for Notepad++ which I was really interested in since I do use NPP all the time

that sense of what is really important and what not is lost in randomness

---
I totally agree with the 1st post ... back in the old days the first thing in the moring (even before brushing teeth) was to check any updates to W2S

today I got that neat RSS reader for Fx and pretty much all the time I check some other sites first and at last W2S where I skip 90+% of the "news"

--
another thign I found to be really annoying is spamming the same news multiple times ...
e.g.
Realtek High Definition Audio for 2KXP3 1.89
vs
Realtek High Definition Audio for Vista 1.89

.... argh ... the news is
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver 1.89
-----> XP-link Vista-link

this is just ONE example ... you name more ... *cough* codec pack *cough*

just my 2 cents

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

2 Posts
Location -
Joined 2008-03-22
Agreed

20 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-06-13
OP
Well i can see that for sure. Perhaps some new news reporters is needed I personally wouldnt mind helping if needed. Since im the one complaining i wouldnt mind helping to offer a solution. I might suck at it but i would love to give it a try. :)

10223 Posts
Location -
Joined 2001-08-25
I am aware of most problems. It is mainly a backend limitation. Right now most of the news stories will be still processed from a Storyteller CMS based admin control panel, which can process news stories only one by one.

This problem will hopefully go away in a few weeks once I migrate all installations to the new Contentteller CMS. The news management of Contentteller is far more advanced and allows things like roundup/group multiple news posts into a single post, duplicate removal, and even the ability to filter news submissions based on keywords.

202 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-05
And finally: Strip it down to the "real news" only - reviews, previews etc.

Let the software-updates stay on "majorgeeks.com" - there they belong. This is the news-site! Please.

20 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-06-13
OP
Like i said i would definatly volunteer my time to write reports for items posted on the site. Even if you do not want me to help out i would definatly get away from automated posts of news. You need human eyes and hands doing this.

Would be nice to see someone post a summery of a hardware review then give the link...open up the post for replies etc..

Like this for instance.."bit-tech published a look at Windows Vista SP1 gaming performance" There is so much more that could have been done with that. A read of the article could have been done plus a summery of what was covered should be under the news topic. Perhaps a unique touch from the writer would have given it a more human feeling with it. Good sarcasim, humor, or something would have been nice.

Just think "newsfactory" style posts and you will see what we are missing.

Like i said earlier im not trying to run the place down i just wish this site had more people dedicated to making it like it used to be. What lured me to this site multipule times a day.

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-09-14
I dont mind less postings, even just two or three a day would be fine....
Its all about quality not quantitiy baby!

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2008-03-28
Worth a mention, but MajorgeeksTweakfiles had a relationship with W2S dating back as far as I remember. We posted their news and vice versa. Thats old school. No one does it anymore. Bob would post stuff from us a few times a day. That said, your right, I was posting WAY too much and as you hopefully saw today, I tamed it down to things we think you might be interested in. There will be no more multiples of a same file, nor 10 a day, or whatever. Instead, I am trying to only pick the top few on any given day, so you know about it, yet are not bothered by it. IMHO we are trying, but W2S will never be what it was simply because what it was didnt work traffic wise. Appreciate the feedback, hope its better for you now.