reccomend a new socket 939 proc?

my AMD FX-57 just puked. I need a new proc for my Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe socket 939 mobo. What's the best bang for the buck that comapres to or is a better proc than the single-core 2.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

196 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-01-07
my AMD FX-57 just puked. I need a new proc for my Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe socket 939 mobo. What's the best bang for the buck that comapres to or is a better proc than the single-core 2.8 ghz FX-57? I'd like the fastest dual-core socket 939 proc I can get. What are the specs, who has it and what's the best price on it? I NEED IT ASAP!!!

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
I read an article about gaming performance scaling with MHz and they found out that
up to 2,600 MHz the CPU does bring some additional performance and above that its mostly the GPU limiting the PC ... so I guess you should just pick up the cheapest 2,400 / 2,600 MHz CPU you can find

btw this is the reason for your -1 ....

196 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-01-07
OP
Thanks much for the info, I had absolutely NO idea about that. Is there any way to get the -1 removed since I didn't know? I had absolutely NO intention of asking a stupid question, I just wanted to find a good or better replacement for my dead FX-57 and I didn't know where to look for info on the subject since I've gotten the best and most accurate responses here at W2. I've built over 100 gaming rigs and have had very few problems and all of my other 220+ posts were right on the money.
What about performance in A/V production? What do you recommend? I know that you are extremely well informed and trust your advice...

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
I guess A/V mean Audio/Video
in my eyes its pretty much equal which CPU you get ... if its an Athlon 64 939 you don't really have much of a choice (in terms of support for SSE4.x for example)
So the only thing you can really influence is the MHz # and the # of cores

I often go for the most MHz for buck rule
and I do recommend a dual core CPU
so if I look at the prices here in germany ...
http://geizhals.at/deutschland/?cat=cpuamd939&sort=r

I would choose the
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ 90nm Sockel-939 tray, 2x 2.00GHz, 2x 256kB Cache (ADA3600DAA4BV)
or the
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 90nm Sockel-939 tray, 2.20GHz, 1024kB Cache (ADA3700DAA5BN/ADA3700DKA5CF)
for as single core alternative

which is the best bang for buck you can get for the 939
note: the 939 is dead ... there won't be much choices left sooner or later

if you think of switching the platform
I can really recommend intels core 2 duo generation
I now own a e6750 and I am really happy with it .... I even use the default intel heatsink (which I have never done in the past) because the CPU runs pretty cool ... but you might consider a chip from the new e8xxx series which runs even cooler

196 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-01-07
OP
Yes, I mean Audio-Video production. Which Intel proc and mobo would you buy if it was your money that was being spent? Also, I am 55 and had a stroke a year and a half ago. I spent a LONG time in the hospital and in physical therapy. My memory/mind isn't quite what it used to be and I haven't gotten any information an what's happening now in the computer world, this is why I haven't made any posts for such a long time. To me it's still 2006.

I'm trying to get back to where I was with my computer knowledge before the stroke and SO many things have changed. My mind is still in 2006 as I stated before as far as computers go, hence the question about replacing the dead FX-57.

Any information that you or anybody else could give me on building a current system, replacing the dead FX-57 and getting the -1 removed would be greatly appreciated. I am now on disability insurance (Social Seurity here in the USA) and don't have a lot of money to spend.
I thank you, my brother ('s) and sisters in the computer world...

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

202 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-05
The reason for the "-1" is obvious, you started about 4 different posts for this question within minutes in the forums - though you are a vital member here, have posted some posts already.
At this place, you still ask: http://www.warp2search.net/forums/replacem...roc-t10183.html

Try to stick to the forum rules, also stop posting in threads, which are "old" and already "done". Thanks.

Anyway, the "-1" will not be taken away.