New front page

I've been reading w2s pretty much since it's conception (late 2001). Almost every day of the week. Both for professional and personal use. When I loaded up the front page tonight I was pretty much horrified.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2008-02-06
I've been reading w2s pretty much since it's conception (late 2001). Almost every day of the week. Both for professional and personal use.

When I loaded up the front page tonight I was pretty much horrified. It's so fugly, harsh on the eyes, cluttered and plagued by "unreadability" that I don't think I'll visit this page anymore.

I never bothered to register on these forums but tonight I did because I just wanted to express my opinion as an avid reader for over six years.

I really hope you reconsider this and bring the classic one column style back, at least as an option. It's just too much info crammed in there and too much blue colored bars. It looks like some freaky homepage from 1995 right now.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

Administrator

11692 Posts
Location -
Joined 2007-08-06
Thanks - Love the input. We are just upgrading the back end and trying some new things out.

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2008-02-06
OP
Thanks - Love the input. We are just upgrading the back end and trying some new things out.

Oh, sorry if I jumped the gun.
Sorry if I sounded overly negative. I was just soo distraught to see one of my all time favourite webpages made over into something I didn't think I could stand in the long run.

Administrator

11692 Posts
Location -
Joined 2007-08-06
No problem - input is always a good thing.

21 Posts
Location -
Joined 2005-02-09
I kind of like the change, more modern looking. Colors need tweaking, but a fresh new look none the less. I notice the RSS feed no longer works though.

202 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-10-05
Fully agree with Undac there - the change is too "hard". The softness, the weaker lines, that all was part of W2S... would be awesome, if you could get that back in a bit.
Also the contrast of the "dark-blue" to the front-color is too far away te be nicely readable.
Anyway.. if the quality of the homepage stays up as it is, I dont matter, what the page looks like. But... :-)

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2008-02-06
OP
Also, (sounding picky here) the logo is kind of messed up with heavy aliasing on the text (look at the W for an example). Looks kinda of mid 90s too for some reason.

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-05-21
I like the looks. I like changes.

4 Posts
Location -
Joined 2008-02-06
OP
New single column style is much better, Still the blue bars on top of every newsitem looks incredibly much like the old windows style of Windows pre-XP if you know what I mean. :)

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

1352 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-02-01
hummm

i don´t like it

now it looks like Windows 98....

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

1 Posts
Location -
Joined 2008-02-07
yes, i agree that the new front page is not as appealing as the old...i have been visiting this site for years because i love the content and links so i will always be coming around but i do prefer the older front page...oh yes, i registered today so i could input my reaction...anyway great site nonetheless

3 Posts
Location -
Joined 2003-07-01
...Same here. Have been browsing the site from... like forever it seems. Twice a day.
Can't seem to be able to read it in this format. It is a more logical layout with the logos on the side for content type, but somehow I can't read it anymore. If you must keep the new layout then please loose the bars surrounding each news. It is too distracting.
If it aint broken dont fix it.

Best regards.

P.S. One of my favourite sites of all time anyway.

7 Posts
Location -
Joined 2002-08-11
I miss the count of new topics that was at the top of the page. I hope it returns. Like the earlier posters, Warp2Search is the first site I visit each day and I several times a day.

It's a great site and a good source of tech news.

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
I have a mixed feeling about the new site

one one hand ... I like the new design from the content standpoint .... there are only those things on the main page that really are important ... removing all those unnecessary buttons and boxes

on the other hand ... the color selection really sucks like many others stated

I miss the x new news and the x new forum posts box on the top, too
... if the box returns it can be put somewhere else like on top of the "news" box on the left to use less space

what really can be removed right now is the blue background ... make the site fit the bowser window and do not waste precious screen space

I would also remove the "Warp2Search.net » News" box from the top. Only show it if you are not viewing all news or move it to some free space where it does not increase the length of the page.

26 Posts
Location -
Joined 2004-04-25
I don't like it much because the teaser/intro of every news is too short and relevant pictures are missing. So it's hard to get the topic of these news in just a few seconds (compared to the old w2s style ~2002-2006). At that time all the news were handpicked (by newsfactory and some other fine guys) and high-class. Now warp2search looks like a RSS-junkyard for more or less useless updatenews about small shareware applications and reviews about mainstream hardware. I really miss the old newsstyle...for example breaking news about the hottest Gaming-Hardware or newest 3D-Benchmarks, Betas and more.

Sorry about these hard words but I do like warp2search and want to give input so w2s can be (re-)improved.