Freeware IE Forensic Tools

still takes forever to open. . . . :-|.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar02.webp

9 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-09-12
Can any suggest any decent freeware Internet Explorer forensic tools?

I am looking to extract history from IE , showing times sites were hit, statistics (if possible), and anything else without having to dig around for everything.

I recently stumbled upon some things in the IE file cache that indicated that my step son had been skipping school and was on the computer during the day when he should have been in class. I questioned him about it and after having hammered on him for about 30 minutes, he admitted that he had been skipping school. He still to this day has no clue how I figured out that he wasn't in school - he thinks that someone saw him and ratted him out!

A few days later, my wife and I both had to go to work earlier than normal - and earlier than the time that he leaves for school... When I got home, I checked the files again and sure enough, there were some files that showed having last been accessed up to around 11am - WAY after he was due to go to school!

Anyhow, I hammered on him pretty hard that evening and he kept on denying it. Not trusting him, my wife and I placed him on restriction.

After having called the dean of attendance, I found out that he actually was at school - boy did we feel stupid!

Turns out that he had been on a website that had auto-freshing ads that had left that site on screen when he left. I didn't see this because the power had gone out for over an hour.

ANYWAYS, now you know the story.. I'm hoping that any utils I can be pointed to would help eliminate any embarassment in the future!

Thanks in advance!

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
I dont know any tool .... but you can freely choose the internet explorer cache dir

just goto that dir and sort all files by date ...

or open the IE history pane ... but you can easily clear the browser cache

on the other hand if the browser cache is cleared ... you might get suspicious

9 Posts
Location -
Joined 2006-09-12
OP
The issue though is that items I saw in the cache were due to auto-refreshing of some of the banner ads - not due to him being there at the PC, which is what I thought when I looked at the time stamps on the files!

I'm about -> <- close to buying a new router that has both adult content filtering built into it and time restrictions, or some software that does similar..

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
a router surely is the better solution ... Software can often be cheated quite easily
and I guess you don't have a router, so its the best to get one anyway

there is pretty much no way to get past the password protection without a hard reset

Administrator

11692 Posts
Location -
Joined 2007-08-06
I am looking to extract history from IE , showing times sites were hit, statistics (if possible), and anything else without having to dig around for everything.

This should help:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iehv.html

Enjoy.