Where to find Windows Update File and where they are stored

When we visit Microsoft for Windows Update it check our system and let's know what kind of files are there which could be downloaded and updated. After selection it start downloading the required data for update file.

This topic was started by ,

data/avatar/default/avatar04.webp

13 Posts
Location -
Joined 2007-12-13
When we visit Microsoft for Windows Update it check our system and let's know what kind of files are there which could be downloaded and updated. After selection it start downloading the required data for update file. On completion, it would be automatically unpacked and started merging on system.
Is it possible that we can find out where these files are stored in the system. Is it possible that we could relocate this file and save it for our future requirement.
Tipps and trick for this purpose would be appreciated.

Participate on our website and join the conversation

You have already an account on our website? Use the link below to login.
Login
Create a new user account. Registration is free and takes only a few seconds.
Register

This topic is archived. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.

Responses to this topic

assets/images/contentteller/avatar_disabled.webp

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
those files are stored under

C:WINDOWSSoftwareDistributionDownload

but the format is not really usefull

the best solution here is to just take the KBxxxxxx number and search for it at www.microsoft.com

you will find the related security bulletin with downloads there

all the MS patches can be installed silently with the "/passive /norestart" switches

e.g. create a batch file with:
WindowsXP-KB885836-x86-ENU.exe /passive /norestart

WindowsXP-KB886185-x86-enu.exe /passive /norestart

WindowsXP-KB888113-x86-ENU.exe /passive /norestart

WindowsXP-KB888302-x86-ENU.exe /passive /norestart

WindowsXP-KB890047-X86-ENU.exe /passive /norestart

WindowsXP-KB890175-x86-ENU.exe /passive /norestart

WindowsXP-KB891781-x86-ENU.exe /passive /norestart

WindowsXP-KB885884-x86-enu.exe /passive /norestart

WindowsXP-KB887742-x86-ENU.exe /passive /norestart

WindowsXP-KB884883-v2-x86-ENU.exe /passive /norestart

WindowsXP-KB893066-v2-x86-ENU.exe /passive /norestart

13 Posts
Location -
Joined 2007-12-13
OP
I found it when I give the command in run
C:WINDOWSSoftwareDistributionDownload
a list of all the updates files but it is not showing size ... somehow hidding it.
How can i save it and do you think that one can use it for the future when reinstalled refresh Windows XP to update the data manually.
I would particularly like to know related to the big patches like for MS Office 2007 SP1 can be stored and save for the future requirement and needs.
I would like to thank you dear Mertsch for your best guidance and tipps. Definately it will help many people who would like to know issue like this.
My regards

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
like I said
the file inside this folder are not really useful
for example I cleared the folder before visiting Windows Update (WU)

In WU I selected one upgrade for .net and hit download and install...
now my download folder looks like this
image1.pngimage2.pngimage3.pngimage4.pngfinal.PNG

data/avatar/default/avatar03.webp

6 Posts
Location -
Joined 2007-12-14
microsoft says that installing multiple updates is without no restart is not advisable without proper knoledge
one should use qchain command
means is one update updates dll file to ver 4 from 5 it will give command to system to do this when system restart
now update no 2 which should be installed after update one has a function that it will update dll file from ver 5 to version 7 which is the latest one
now what will happen ?
it will not found file with version 5 because we have not restarted computer and file version update prosses for update no 1 is pending
so ultimate reasult will be that no proper update of dll file will be and it will remain to ver 5 after one restart

thats why all update should be chained properly and qchain command should used

so beware search microsoft read more and more otherwise your updated system may be ....................ha .....ha

0 Posts
Location -
Joined -
microsoft says that installing multiple updates is without no restart is not advisable without proper knoledge
one should use qchain command
means is one update updates dll file to ver 4 from 5 it will give command to system to do this when system restart
now update no 2 which should be installed after update one has a function that it will update dll file from ver 5 to version 7 which is the latest one
now what will happen ?
it will not found file with version 5 because we have not restarted computer and file version update prosses for update no 1 is pending
so ultimate reasult will be that no proper update of dll file will be and it will remain to ver 5 after one restart

thats why all update should be chained properly and qchain command should used

so beware search microsoft read more and more otherwise your updated system may be ....................ha .....ha

on the other hand ... if you get a clean SP2 system with no updates integrated and do a windows update session ... you will get all updates installed at once, too

except those for IE7 which won't be found with IE6 installed

a workaround for this would be to do an update on a clean machine via windows update and keep all those updates in UDPATE1.bat and any
later in update2.bat and so on

but really the best way is to integrate those updates into the windows installation via nlite anyway

you wont find any faster solution then that

13 Posts
Location -
Joined 2007-12-13
OP
MERRY CHRISTMAS
´:´´:::/´::/´/´
....´´::´:/´:/´/´....___,•´`¯`´â€¢,
.....´´´|/´/´/´......../..........._/
.......´´|/´/´...,.~~/=====_/
........[||||].....(_________)
..........||.....,•´`.._....._....`´â€¢,
..........||.../...... (o)(o)` ......
..........||..|............ .............|
..........||..........____/......./
..........||.....´â€¢,_............._,•´
.........,||..,~•¯¯(@)//__
.....,•´`.||..............////.......`´â€¢,
.....´,...||.............////O...........
..,•´`...,||•´`¯`´â€¢,...////.. O....….
....´ _______,•´..///...O...../......|
Frohe Weihnachten und einen guten Rutsch!
Festglocken tönen überall, es flammen tausend Kerzen, rings Freude nur und Jubelschall aus frohen Kinderherzen.
In jeder Stadt, in jedem Nest, wohin den Blick ich trage, ertönet heut der Ruf zum Fest:
"Vergnügte Feiertage!" aus "Wie Sankt Niklas Rundschau hält" von Rudolf Löwenstein 1819 - 1891
Das Jahr neigt sich langsam dem Ende entgegen.
Uns liegen besinnliche Tage vor.
Ein frohes, gesegnetes und friedvolles Weihnachtsfest und einen guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr wüscht
Grüß